Bollocks, ahh well

Cynic
This post is 1533 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I thought I had bought a scoot for the daughter, needing nothing more than some spit and polish and maybe a mild de restrict  went to collect. Nope sold to somebody else, sob story of forgot/my partner sold it…..

Anyway, calmed down after that and now have an Aprilia sr50(ish), does have an 'oversize' piston. Bike is ok in the main. The engine.....hmmm spanners are getting dirty, really dirty.

I should not be surprised at the state of learner bikes but I don't recall any of 'us' in my day doing some of the stupid shit you see on these scooters.

Drive belt on backwards, the arrows are clear enough to see. No starter gear, just gone, removed, these things only start on the kick as a get you home (cos its hassle). Air line used as fuel pipe, coolant pipe and vac line, 

It was a dead duck (cheap) and has a bad crank seal so the motor has  come apart, still trying to split the cases. Bit of a pain, think heat will help, but it has got some good proper sports parts in there and will be a rocketship with the daughter on it. Things like the coolant came out clean as a whistle and aside from being dirty all the fluids are good (little gearbox at the rear) and nothing seized up. Only stumble is the cases hanging.

Stupid sidebar to splitting the cases, the cost of the proper tool to split the cases cost very little more than buying replacement cases from ebay.

Actually fun to work on and when you get into them there is some very clever thinking to the design. 

Looks like were keeping it too as the wife fancies using it for work once daughter number 2 has passed through it.

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Maybe, no1 daughter is in Shefield doing psychology. Maybe in the summer break, we might pay for her to do one of those week courses for her birthday. She only wants to ride my cb175 so the licence restrictions from her age don't matter.

Sounds like a plan to me. Just remember she'll need to pass her theory before you can book a course with the tests at the end.

Not sure she needs the theory, doesent the car theory test count.

You need to pass another theory for any licence over and above the CBT, even if you’ve already done the theory for your car licence.

Anyway, it’s great to hear you are building up a family of bikers!

I did up an SR50 for a friend. wasn't cheap and cost her £450 in parts, but it had a new head on and a tuned pipe with lighter rollers to hold the power.

Didn't arf fly, think they just tucked it back in the garage which was a bit of a waste 

2012, some time agao

16 hours ago, Cynic said:

Not sure she needs the theory, doesent the car theory test count.

As Bippo says it's a separate test. 90% the same questions though. 

8 hours ago, drewpy said:

I did up an SR50 for a friend. wasn't cheap and cost her £450 in parts, but it had a new head on and a tuned pipe with lighter rollers to hold the power.

Didn't arf fly, think they just tucked it back in the garage which was a bit of a waste 

2012, some time agao

That's the thing drewps, this already HAS the expensive bits. Need to change the crank seals and that defacto means the bearings too. Would you believe the mag side seal had literally come out of its seat.when I pulled the rotor the seal fell onto the bench. I can only assume it was blown out by high compression of the sports piston kit, (one ring high comp).

It already has the piston and head, the pipe etc. A bloody good clean and removing all the teenage balls ups. Like airline for coolant pipes, ???. Amazing how few bodywork fixings you actually need.

Couple of hours and it was a big pile of bits, all came apart easy too, surprisingly no seized bolts etc. Granted one or two had me reaching for the plussgas but even the engine mounting bolt (as notorious as the dt one) slid straight out.

11 hours ago, bippo said:

You need to pass another theory for any licence over and above the CBT, even if you’ve already done the theory for your car licence.

Anyway, it’s great to hear you are building up a family of bikers!

Cannot argue can I. Whats good for the goose etc.

Daughter number 2 did say she got serious cool points being dropped off on the max the other day, that would be the shy retiring type with  matt black  lid with electric blue pinstriping and ghost skulls..

• Like 1

Hmm, when I said expensive bits I didn't realise quite how far someone had taken it.

This was a monster once. If only the last moron knew what he had. There is a good 7 to 800 quidsworth of go go goodies on this thing, the pipe is 200quid (for a scoot that's juicy) full circle all steel crank (150+) top end (160) considering a stock pot from the bay of evil is 30 quid with gaskets. Suitable crank bearings are c4 rated 20000rpm with fibre cages. Plus the uprated variator and clutch.

All from the same firm, reading the technical its supposed to run fully synth premix (stock pump cannot cope), although in normal road work I think it will do, and a stronger drive belt

Done right this thing is a rocket, a proper bullet. Brakes are monster too, front caliper is from the 125 (bigger caliper same disk).

Considering the potential of this thing how did the morons who had it let it fall so far, it would have had god like status when I was 16.

Yes I will be dialing the throttle back restricting the carb slide for her to get her early wobbles done with. The stock carb does hold it back. The blurb recommends a 24mm for all round performance or, get this a 28mm for racing.

18 hours ago, Cynic said:

Hmm, when I said expensive bits I didn't realise quite how far someone had taken it.

This was a monster once. If only the last moron knew what he had. There is a good 7 to 800 quidsworth of go go goodies on this thing, the pipe is 200quid (for a scoot that's juicy) full circle all steel crank (150+) top end (160) considering a stock pot from the bay of evil is 30 quid with gaskets. Suitable crank bearings are c4 rated 20000rpm with fibre cages. Plus the uprated variator and clutch.

All from the same firm, reading the technical its supposed to run fully synth premix (stock pump cannot cope), although in normal road work I think it will do, and a stronger drive belt

Done right this thing is a rocket, a proper bullet. Brakes are monster too, front caliper is from the 125 (bigger caliper same disk).

Considering the potential of this thing how did the morons who had it let it fall so far, it would have had god like status when I was 16.

Yes I will be dialing the throttle back restricting the carb slide for her to get her early wobbles done with. The stock carb does hold it back. The blurb recommends a 24mm for all round performance or, get this a 28mm for racing.

cool, think I put a bigger carb on too

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online