Ian Dixon

LED brake and running lights

Help, I have a 2009 Yamaha XVS 1300a and recently bought a set of Delaware hard saddle bags with LED brake and running lights (10 white 5mm LED's with three resistors per saddle bag) I can only get them to work when I pull the brake on, I can't get them to work as running lights and when the brake is depressed they should shine brighter. I am not totally electrically minded so if someone can help it would be much appreciated. 

There must be a wire or link of some kind. The unit must have a way of knowing when the lights are on and then when the brakes are on.

Hi, thanks for you reply, there are 3 wires coming from the LED's, one I have going to the negative, one to the rear running light and one to the brake light circuit. I can get the LED's to work when the brake is applied or I can get them to work just as running lights but not both. I know I must be doing something wrong because I connected it up directly to the battery , first trying the running LED light and then the LED brake light and then both connected together and the LED's lit up brighter PERFECTLY !!! Any ideas of what I have done wrong. 

Sounds like you have your wires crossed. 

You have proved the unit works, the bike worked before you pulled it apart so the fault is most certainly the bit in-between.

My guess, you have mixed up or miss read the wires. It sounds to me like you have an earth that you think is a live.

So you have it wired up as

Unit       Wiring/Bike

SL              Earth

Br             Br

Earth        SL

I don't imagine the unit has the most complex of internal systems but this way the light would come on for the (B)rake light but not for the side(SL)light as the unit is using the sidelight circuit to earth its self. 

Then when you swap the connections for the sidelight, the unit will use the brake light circuit as earth.

I hope that is clear?

Thanks Cynic, I put a meter across the wires I have coming from the bike and have power on the brake side and power on the running lights side. Are you saying (sorry to sound thick) that I need the following

LED lights (three cables coming out) One going to negative

One going to either brake light circuit or running lights circuit

and the last as an earth

Thanks again regards Ian

No, there is no negative.

The led unit will have a wire for the brake, a wire for the running light and an earth.

You are thinking house wiring, on a bike this is live and earth, no negative (think  negative is earth if it helps to understand it)