Draining the fuel tank for winter.

slice
This post is 1473 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok so as I said in another post my bike is hibernating till April, but I really don't want to leave the tank full cos the crap they sell really does degrade over the winter, so just cos I can I thought how do I get the stuff left in it out? Last year saw me balancing the tank on my workmate while trying to drain the fuel into a fuel can all while it had 5 and a half gallons of fuel in it. So a few years ago I bought one of those oil drain vacuum thingies from Machine Mart or some such, it is only supposed to be oil that you use it on but if you don't think out side the box every now and then you end up in one! So I have managed to remove every last drop of fuel from the awkward thing all without getting my hands dirty. Just making sure that I washed it out with hot soapy water so it wont rot the seals and pipework in the vacuum pump. It's just a thought really and you might have already done this but thought it might be an idea for any of you out there that were suffering from the same problem. Oh and just make sure you have somewhere to put the fuel BEFORE you take it out (luckily my wife's car was half empty cos mines a diesel DOH!)

Machine Mart do various sizes of these things but mine takes 6 litres.

99AC32D9-A65A-4F84-A916-B94A581B5575-lar

PELA 6000 - 6L Oil & Fluid Extractor £47.98.

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Im determined to ride winters whenever the rain relents, and keep topping up with fresh. I noticed a few eeks ago that the pumps at my local filling station now have the new Ethanol stickers on them. Previously, I was assured that the super unleaded did not contain ethanol, now the sticker says E5 which means it may (or not) contain it. Its rather confused the issue again, as Id rather not have it in the fuel I buy, but Ive been unable to find find out whether or not the sticker is simply a legal requirement, or the fuel actually contains ethanol

• Like 1

NSD, just looked it up and it say's "The majority of unleaded 95 Octane petrol sold in the UK contains up to 5% ethanol as required under the Government's Renewable Transport Fuels Obligation (RTFO). There is currently no requirement for renewable fuel (such as ethanol) to be present in super unleaded (97 grade petrol).

SO it seems that 97 and up does not HAVE to have Ethanol in it BUT the owner of the petrol station can if they wish only supply fuel with Ethanol in it, and as it's cheaper than raw fuel then you can bet that they will only buy stuff that makes more profit for the owners of said stations. Also of course is the fact that Ethanol fuel actually gives you LESS mileage per gallon so you need to fill up more often, I have been told that 5% Ethanol is equivalent to 2 to 3 miles per gallon less than raw fuel!

Draining is not a thing I do on any of my bikes.  I just shake them once a week and start them up. Works for me just now. Two of my bikes have carbs so I would need to drain them to and cant be bothered.  As said, whither right ir wrong,  it works for me. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2019 at 1:54 PM, Bob Adam said:

Draining is not a thing I do on any of my bikes.  I just shake them once a week and start them up. Works for me just now. 

Same here.  Never done and weather permitting I have a short blast around the block to keep things free & running.

That being said, just fired up the FJ this afternoon, put some fresh Royal Dutch V-power in and went for a 40 mile blitz. 

• Thanks 1

Same here run em up, going out on the max tomorrow if the weather stays as is.

• 2 months later...

Hehe,  first 85 mile commute of the year this morning.  A tad chilly but good to be out on 2 wheels .... going like the clappers 🤘

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online