Yamaha or general recomended 2 stroke oils for RDs

Rich back on 2 wheels
This post is 1594 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Rich back on two wheels

Trying to find the best, most recommended or the most SUITABLE 2 stroke engine oil. I've searched the for Yamahas recommended 2 stroke oil for my 1986 Yamaha RD350LC and come up with no definitive answer? at the moment I'm unsure which would be the best? possibly MOTUL 2T 100 mineral or maybe one of the Castrol brands, Activo 2T, Power 1 2T or Power 1 racing 2T OR maybe there is a better alternative altogether? I would love to hear from anyone in the know on this one. any responses are much appreciated.   

plus I'm in a bit of a predicament, as although I've seen the seat removed before and I have the key for the lock which turns both ways as of yet & not wanting to break anything I have not yet been able to get the seat off to A: fit the needed replacement oil filler cap & B: to also be able to refill the oil tank & of course with a good brand that suits the bike.

many thanks for any responses & free laughs for you for my stuck seat.

cheers Rich

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Don't get dragged into the 2stroke oil snobbery. Yam 2 strokes in stock trim will just about run on chip far, no im not joking. Big roller bearing mains, needle roller small ends, the engines are bomb proof if ridden/maintained right. 

I have been using morris semi synth 2 stroke oil (fiver a litre from Churchill motors Pattishall) for years with no problems at all.

As for the seat I cannot help, last 350 I had was in the early 90's as a winter hack (yeah I know) cannot remember how to get the seat open.

• Thanks 1

I use Oregon   the chainsaw 2T, oil,  or Carlube,  , as for the seat,  see it you can unscrew the lock from the frame, , or slide the hinge pins out, . 

• Thanks 1