Fixing the FJR for next year.

slice
This post is 1616 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So finally got the bike finished, as I said before the wheel bearings were a tad knackered and I owe my MOT guy a beer! Did the fork stantion replacement and new fork springs tho that was a bit of a faff, I forgot that you have to fix the fork inner cartridge before you try to ram the seals in cos that way you fuck the new bearings and the inner components so what's another £80 when you think about it! Well it's finally done and next years ride out will see me not bouncing round corners like a horse on crack. So I'm off the road till April and then I'm thinking of doing the run down to Portugal again tho Bippo's story about the mountains in Italy has made me think about that instead. Might be fun to try those switch back roads with loads of corners, have to see what SWMBO has to say about that. Plus camping is NOT on the agenda so maybe the local hotel and hostels will fit right in with this idea.

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

YES! I can see it now... “YOC does Italy” haha! We should all head there next year *hint, hint, guys*

Aside from that, big par on the back for sorting the bike out, Slice. I couldn’t believe how tidy it looked in Wales.

That’s good news. 
I’ve put new brake lines in mine and will need front pads ready for Germany next year. Globnocker pass , rheinbeck  falls in Switzerland and routes ballons in Voges.

On 10/21/2019 at 12:51 PM, bippo said:

YES! I can see it now... “YOC does Italy” haha! We should all head there next year *hint, hint, guys*

Aside from that, big par on the back for sorting the bike out, Slice. I couldn’t believe how tidy it looked in Wales.

Er?? 

Gulp..... 

Italy! and I have the choice of a vmax or a TDR. 

• Like 1

Er?? 
Gulp..... 

Italy! and I have the choice of a vmax or a TDR. 

The Vmax would be perfect for it... you know you want to...!
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bippo said:

The Vmax would be perfect for it... you know you want to...!

I might wish slice had his dodgy wheelbearings to give me a chance in the corners. 

I might wish slice had his dodgy wheelbearings to give me a chance in the corners. 

He’s a dark horse on that bike, so I don’t think many of us would stand a chance now it’s ship-shape...!
Would take me a month to get to France on the DT [emoji23]

But you have a literal tonne of alternate bikes to choose from! Failing that, my over-sized beast could tow your DT..., although you know by now that it’s important to not use a Yam on a YOC meet. Haha

12 minutes ago, bippo said:

But you have a literal tonne of alternate bikes to choose from! Failing that, my over-sized beast could tow your DT..., although you know by now that it’s important to not use a Yam on a YOC meet. Haha

Good point!

Could always get a transit and act as a support vehicle for when Tommy's battery inevitably goes flat!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ok I'm game! Anyone fancy a trip to Italy next year? Those roads look awesome and the hotels are cheap enough (yes I'm old!) Shall we have a pole on who "might" be interested in  the "YOC does Italy"? Bippo can lead this time and not get a gob full of gravel and mud (yes I'm talking to you PAT!) :)

(I might wish slice had his dodgy wheelbearings to give me a chance in the corners.) 

Christ mate that bloody TDR is greased lightning around corners, my poor bloody FJR was wallowing like a whale trying to keep up! Plus the VMAX would be awesome on a trip like that.

How long would the trip be, any ideas. I mean in time not miles. I haven't a clue and would need to get it past the boss. 

Boring detail. The max needs fuel every 100 miles at best or your pushing 286kg. High speed cruising could see it in the 80's.

Just letting ya know... ;)

7 hours ago, slice said:

Ok I'm game! Anyone fancy a trip to Italy next year? Those roads look awesome and the hotels are cheap enough (yes I'm old!) Shall we have a pole on who "might" be interested in  the "YOC does Italy"? Bippo can lead this time and not get a gob full of gravel and mud (yes I'm talking to you PAT!) :)

(I might wish slice had his dodgy wheelbearings to give me a chance in the corners.) 

Christ mate that bloody TDR is greased lightning around corners, my poor bloody FJR was wallowing like a whale trying to keep up! Plus the VMAX would be awesome on a trip like that.

I'd be game for next year!   I'll be planning another trip for next year anyway (I was originally thinking about Ireland), but I'd be able to do both. 😎

6 hours ago, Cynic said:

How long would the trip be, any ideas. I mean in time not miles. I haven't a clue and would need to get it past the boss. 

Boring detail. The max needs fuel every 100 miles at best or your pushing 286kg. High speed cruising could see it in the 80's.

Just letting ya know... ;)

Hmm, that's a good question.   I guess if it's too long then it'll be hard for folk to fit it in with family and work.   No more than a week I'm guessing?   Mind you, I guess there'd be no issue in others staying out there for longer, if they wanted?

Re. fuel range, I'd happily carry additional fuel on my bike for those who need it. 👍

Yeah I'm thinking 1 week poss 5 days and as to fuel it's not the north pole they do have fuel stations! But as Bippo said I can hang a gallon off the side and not even notice. In fact you can get soft fuel carriers that they use in Australia for the outback and they are available here as well tho they are not cheap.( Alex might be able to offer some help as he's in the colonies!) Anyway it seems some might be interested let's see how many others are thinking about it.

For starters I'd be happy to get mine back from the menders all singing and dancing. Been there now for 3/4 weeks.  I know the boys work on her as and when and because the weather's crap anyway and I don't need her and I'm not calling them every 5 minutes to see how things are anyway

Latest was that the valve clearances were out as well (too tight) by some margin.  Boy, did whoever who serviced that bike in Worcestershire f*ck things up.

On a happier note, pleased to report that the 3CV has gone to a good local home for good money. Hope she's as good to the new owner as she's been for me.  

Edited by DutchFJ1200

On 10/24/2019 at 2:55 PM, slice said:

Yeah I'm thinking 1 week poss 5 days and as to fuel it's not the north pole they do have fuel stations! But as Bippo said I can hang a gallon off the side and not even notice. In fact you can get soft fuel carriers that they use in Australia for the outback and they are available here as well tho they are not cheap.( Alex might be able to offer some help as he's in the colonies!) Anyway it seems some might be interested let's see how many others are thinking about it.

The only thing which dawned on me...   Drewps and Tommy already have their trip to the Black Forest planned.   They are guaranteed regulars on YOC meets, so it's likely they wouldn't be able to squeeze another in next year...

Re. fuel, I did stumble across a few stations which were closed, but typically the majority have pay at pump.   I quickly found out that when holding the Tiger 1200 at a steady 130-140kph (on their motorways) it resulted in the least economical vehicle I've ever owned...!   I was just watching the gauge run down...   I'm so glad I only needed to do that on the final day, returning to Calais.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online