Early X-mas pressy for meself :-)

DutchFJ1200
This post is 1623 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Yesterday a van turned up bringing a pressy to myself 😎  Younger version of the one I got with only 16.5K miles on the clock. FJ-1200 3XW

WP_20190915_14_19_00_Pro

That also means that the 3CV is on the market.

• Like 6

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • 3 weeks later...

Well chaps, the love affair hasn't lasted that long ......... I'm at pains to admit. To be honest I'm a bit hacked off with the whole thing.

The issue is that when the bike is at operating temperature a couple of miles in it will not idle so that's a bit of a biatch if you have to stop for a traffic light. If you let the grip go it would splutter, misfire and die.  Also the carbs are flooding and fuel p*sses out of the overflow pipes at the back of the engine block .............. where a couple of very hot exhausts reside.

At speed the bike drove like a new one and it was very pleasant and even managed to pick up my first speeding ticket, go figuire.

After my first 80 mile and back commute 2 weeks ago I booked it into my bike shop to have a look at the carbs and that is where it still sits.  Early indication is that, in its life,  it has been standing too long on the side stand and the 2 lhs carb channels, nooks and crannies must be full of crud, gum and solidified fuel.   Last news was that the carbs were sent away for cleaning and the shop was waiting on delivery of new idle jets, needles and some other gear.

When negociating with the PO I did have a mate of mine check the bike out, and he in turn brought his 'advanced motor bike driver' friend who took it up and down the street.  When still cold and on choke it idles fine and none of these symptoms were found........ I wish he had driven it for approx 10 miles and we wouldn't have this exchange.

PO maintains that he had the bike serviced and carbs cleaned in sonic bath less than 3 months ago.  I think the PO has been taken for a ride by his garage to the tune of 500 quid because I have the invoice. (my bike shop had very strong doubts if the carbs were done properly (if at all) for they certainly did not look it)

Fortunately the weather was a bit hydraulic last 2 weeks for I would have happily jumped on my 3CV that I bought unseen, untried & untested via Ebay in Brussels 6 years ago - and that one hasn't missed a beat since day 1!

Yup I hear you thinking - sold as seen - buyer beware.   Guilty as charged. Bugger 😐

Ah that's a bugger mate! It seems most folks like to think a low mileage bike is better than an often ridden one but the truth is if you make anything a trailer queen or garage junkie then it will have problems just from lack of use. I'm sure once you get the carbs sorted it will be fine but still a sodding nuisance.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, slice said:

Ah that's a bugger mate! It seems most folks like to think a low mileage bike is better than an often ridden one but the truth is if you make anything a trailer queen or garage junkie then it will have problems just from lack of use. I'm sure once you get the carbs sorted it will be fine but still a sodding nuisance.

That and I'm questioning my thought process.  If I had spent less than a third of the outlay on my 3CV with 80K it would have probably outlasted me but in my mind I was a bit dazzled by the bling bling.  You (still) live & learn (nearly every day) 🙄

Sucks for you. Still like Andy said should be sorted soon. 

Lol. The max I bought needs Coils, plugs, spedo drive ate its self on the first decent ride and the battery wouldn't hold charge. All pretty standard vmax faults. 

Swap you a carb clean... 

Have to say none of it unexpected. She was cheap, 6months ago she was a pile of bits in a van. Last ridden 2014.

• 4 weeks later...

She's back.  Picked her up today and all is sweet.  Finally got an as good as new FJ-1200 in the garage with 16.5K on the clock.

Carbs done, valve clearances done, tune-up done.

Parted with a few shekels to get her right but I'm sure the love will come back again soon.😎

• Like 3