another xs250 not charging

YamahaUK
This post is 1662 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

1980 xs250se low miles as it has been sitting. 13.6v at 4000rpm, 12.9v at 4000rpm with the lights on. Changed the reg/rec to single unit from the 2 solid state items (xs750/850 item). 4ohm resistance between the white wires, 0ohm between brown and green.

I am not sure how these generate power, but is the rotor supposed to be a permenant magnet, or is it charged by the inner stator? (brown/green wires).

anything else I can check before I go nuts with a sledge hammer?

• Haha 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sledge Hammers are your friends, oh and Fire, they love fire

• Haha 1

Haa"  jim has had this experience 😅.   is it like the RD250,  where the rotor is inside the stator,  with brushes  on the slip rings,, if so   the brown wire needs 12volt ,  to magnatize rotor,,  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

sorted. Duff rectifier. Thw cheap chinese replacement was new but also duff. I replaced the stock rectifier with with a regulator / rectifier from a late model vfr800 honda and it works fine now. I had to modify the mounting to fit the new reg/rec in the same place.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online