YZF600R battery draining

Tpex Rath
This post is 1717 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there, long time no see, I finally upgraded my trusty steed, and then my course of electronics curse jumped bikes.

So I have a '99 Thundercat about 60k miles on the clock, she was running okay and I added a LED strip, after a few more months the battery started dying on the regular. so I disconnected the strip but the problem persists,

Bought a new battery, same problem,

I have tested voltage when running at 3000 rpm and higher and there is an increase to the battery, so it doesn't seem to be the regulator or stator.

There is no draw when the ignition is off.

The only problem I can seem to find is when I have my headlight on, the voltages steady drops, instead of increasing, even at high revs. it's the same bulb that I bought the bike with and that she ran fine with before the problems started, and the correct bulb for the model (55/65w)

Another issue (previous owner pointed it out) the rev meter will sometimes  climb to 8000rpm and then drop again when the ignition is on, but engine is not running, then when running the rev meter will stick to 0, the only way to reset this is to close the throttle completely and then open again, then it will read correctly for a time.

So I'm at a bit of a loss, and also getting tired of being stuck on the side of the road, any ideas/help would be appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You basically say you have some problems and have done stuff.

When you tested the charging voltage, what were the numbers? £k revs, 6k revs lights on or off.

What did you do to check the draw, in line meter? There is normally something leaking current, nothing is perfect on a 60k bike.

Ultimately your first suspect will ALWAYS be the rec unit on a 600 yam.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online