engine removal XV 535

harrington
This post is 1717 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, 

I'm Harrington & joined a few weeks ago.

I am in  the process of removing the engine from my Virago XV 535 & have a problem removing  the mounting  bolt from the lower rear of the crankcase. I have removed the nuts, & slackened all the other mounting bolts but this one won't budge. I am not sure how to remove it, I have applied WD40, hit it with a hammer (several times), tried 'unscrewing' it using 2 nuts tightened together bit still no joy. Any ideas??

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi, First and most important do you have the workshop manual? Cos that will give you all the info (well most!) that you need, they are on EBAY for about £15 and well worth the price. If you do have the manual and it still won't come out then hopefully someone on here will have an answer for you. Usually it's corrosion between the steel bolt/stud and the ali engine mount that get's stuck, if all else fails try HEAT but not to much just where it passes through the engine, your doing the right thing with WD40 but there are other penetrating oils out there and even freeze sprays that might help. Good luck anyway.

Hi Slice,

Thanks for the response. Yes I do have a Haynes manual which is very detailed & useful but it just says "remove the bolt" but as it is stuck fast I'm not sure if I am supposed to force it out or maybe 'unscrew' it. Having removed all the petrol thingies I'll try heating it gently with a blow torch, thanks for the advice.

Wont help, the ally of the engine absorbs the heat. unless you really heat it with mixed gas or some such.

You should try a proper penetrating oil, even diesel is better than wd40.

I have had some luck in the past with the torque setting on my drill in the past, setting it to the max torque and letting the drill rattle like its fully tightened it but not. Bit like a rattle gun, even better if you can borrow or steal one of those. (I have the socket adapters so I can use sockets on my drill). The vibrations and the twisting action seem to work sometimes.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online