TPMS?

slice
This post is 1730 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok so just wanted to ask, has anyone got one of these TPMS thingy's attached to there bike? I have it on the car but wondered if it was worth it for the bike, I also have 90 deg valves on the bike so would this make a difference? Oh and just for the folks that don't know what it is (cos I didn't at first) it is the TYRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM, apparently it comes with a small LCD screen and 2 valve covers that can be set to specific pressures both high and low and at only about £30 odd quid for the set it seems pretty nifty and stops you having to get down on your knees to check the pressures every couple of days (weeks! MONTHS for some of us)

Motorcycle Tpms Tire Tyre Temp Pressure Monitoring System + 2 Sensor

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The guy who bought my bike new specced this, so yes I have it. I have right angle valves too.

I’ve never used it, or relied on it, but when I cycle through my display the figures displayed appear to be accurate vs. my tyre pump.

Is it worth it? Probably not something I’d spec myself, but equally I’ve heard good things by people where it’s flashed up in the event of a puncture and pressure is dropping fast. Thus getting them to stop before something bad could happen at speed. Thankfully I’ve never had this happen but I am in the habit of glancing down for the warning light at times I’ve accidentally hit a pothole hard. Added reassurance in that regard.

I have however heard it’s worthwhile telling anyone changing tyres that you have them fitted (horror stories of mechanics ruining them due to lack of care).

Having just read back over your message, the BMW ones are over 200 quid, which is why I wouldn’t have prioritised it...!) but yours sound like a much more acceptable price!

• Like 1

Thanks for that Bips, really never had this kind of thing in my day so not sure what to expect with it. I might just bung a few quid at it and see how it pans out. Plus if I get wheel wobble with it they can go straight into the bin! BMW prices are just unbelievable what planet are they on to charge £200 for something you can get for £30? I suppose more worrying is that people pay those prices, what's the old saying "one born every minute"!

Well Drewpy, I personally think not, I have them on the car, as do most new motors, if those don't get stolen why should the ones on the bike? Plus they only work with the receiver that they come with and they also have nuts to clamp them in place so it's like anything really if they want them they will steal them but why would you bother if you can't use the things? We all know some dumb arseholes will steal anything not nailed down but at just a few quid a set why not fit them and see what happens?

the reason I said that is I got those go no go ones which are green if ok then turn red when not.

lasted a week

plus the snazzy tyre caps will get pinched

You can’t tell they are fitted on my bike. The valve stem and dust caps just look standard cheap and cheerful. All the gubbins are inside the rim. Not sure if that’s different with Slices cheaper ones?

Side note... Drewps about our chat regarding the PR5’s. You know I said my last set wore terribly. Well I suddenly realised it’s because they aren’t a GT variant. If they don’t bring out a GT set I may consider going back to the PR4’s.

8 minutes ago, bippo said:

Side note... Drewps about our chat regarding the PR5’s. You know I said my last set wore terribly. Well I suddenly realised it’s because they aren’t a GT variant. If they don’t bring out a GT set I may consider going back to the PR4’s.

Ah, right.
I don't do too many miles as have a few bikes and don't use them everyday.

the grip these R5's have are brilliant though

TPMS is just another thing to go wrong, in Wales I had my temp shoot up.

What went through my mind, water pump? Seal? Shaft? Hose? .

?

The sender broke..

My Dad was a mechanic all his working life and called shit like this 'panic gauges'.

Yes 1% people might get a benefit, chances are many more will be cursing weird tyre problems that aren't there.