Xvs125 leaking fuel - carb related

ljr05884
This post is 1708 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

i was wondering if anyone might shed some light on my issue.

not long had the bike- about 3 months. Always seemed to run fine, did smell a little bit petrol after riding and sometimes a couple of small drops on the floor after parking up but not always.

suddenly the other week it poured fuel on start up. I thought it was the y pipe (the carb manifold?) as that looked cracked so ordered a new decent make one. Just replaced it and much of the same. Difficult to see exactly where it’s coming from but looks higher than the replaced part.

the bike has never felt full of life, but I just thought this was because it’s a 125 and I’m a big chap but possibly a symptom? It also always needs a bit of choke to get started, not sure if this is relevant.

could it be a blockage in the carb causing this as it just suddenly happened or perhaps a seal that has just finally given up? Unsure where to start to fix the issue, don’t mind spending the money for someone to professionally clean it all and put it back together but would prefer to keep the costs down having just spent £90 replacing a part that wasn’t broken

many thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi there, the likeliest explanation is fuel coming from the overflow pipe.

You say you've not had it long. So by that statement you probably dont know its history other than the verbal spiel the owner gave you.

If a bike hasn't been used for a while, the fuel left inside the carb evaporates. This process can empty a float chamber and on the face of it, you think its a process where it all disappears. Unfortunatley whilst it does disappear it also leaves behind a hard varnish like product referred to as shelac. It can build up and over time goes dark brown. This varnish can not only block up fine passageways but also make the moving parts....stop!!

The film can build up on the float chamber pivot and stop it moving freely. Often getting stuck in the down position as if the float chamber was empty. As fuel pours in the float doesn't move to close off the inlet and fuel will fill the chamber and into the overflow.

This can be quite alarming!! it can appear temporary or last longer. Turning the fuel stopcock "OFF" solves the inflow of petrol and that might be enough to let the float recover. Which means it can appear intermittent fault.

The bottom line however, is it all needs a clean.!

Edited by NE0
  • Like 1

That’s great information, thanks vert much.

My first thought was a seal as it hadn’t leaked last time it was hot, but with me it only gets ridden on sundays but may skip a week here and there. The chap it came from seemed pretty knowledgeable and said he started it daily, but unsure if that’s actually worse as it never gets up to full temperature under load?

Sounds like if this is the issue it won’t be a case of cleaning it myself but sending it off? Found a pretty cheap deal on the bay for a full clean and rebuild, not as bad as I thought at first

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got round to getting the carb off and found that on the side with the diaphragm one corner had snapped off and glued up with exhaust paste...

guessing this would cause the above symptoms.

Anyone know where I can get a good quality replacement?

D8BCDE4A-0CF8-4D3A-99E1-6A31FB196DC5.jpeg

That might be fixable with some of the modern adhesives out now,  long ago I used something called Belzona (I think) it was a 2 part metallic resin compound you could use to fill/repair ally with. Used it to fix a crankcase on my old GP100.

Although Cynic is right and you probably could repair that bit, to be honest if you can find one that's not been butchered why wouldn't you? If you glue it back together you can best it will let go next time right where you least want it to, usually at the lights on the busiest day of the year and it will always be in the back of your mind nagging away like an ex girlfriend!

Slice, try it. I spent 20 minutes going through the usual villans for an xvs carb. It only fits the 125 and a 25hp yamaha outboard and they just ain't for sale, service parts are easy, the body isn't. I assume this kind of issue is pretty much non existent and the carbs never give real trouble so they get chucked with the carcass as worthless when a bike is wrecked.

That's why I went with repair.

Had tried to repair but the bike now won’t start, could be that it needs setting up again with the mixture and things but I’ve not had the time to look at it. I used plenty of metal epoxy, seemed to set pretty damn hard but who knows if it’s strong enough?

Does anyone know if this would have been causing the issues I had first written about?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online