TDM 900 gearbox noise

Stephen Bridgehouse
This post is 1690 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi I have a tdm 900 (2005) , done 40k and looked after.

It's recently developed a noise from the front sprocket,  a rattle and grinding noise on overrun.  

I adjusted the chain which seemed to improve it slightly. I'm sure it could be a bearing on the output shaft. Any ideas or anyone suffered a similar fault? 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
16 hours ago, Stephen Bridgehouse said:

Hi I have a tdm 900 (2005) , done 40k and looked after.

It's recently developed a noise from the front sprocket,  a rattle and grinding noise on overrun.  

I adjusted the chain which seemed to improve it slightly. I'm sure it could be a bearing on the output shaft. Any ideas or anyone suffered a similar fault? 

How old is the chain.

If the bearing is that bad it will be leaking oil at the sprocket. Bearing is more of a rumble. Not rattle and grind that sounds more chain. 

• Like 1

the chain should have a lot of slack, 50 to 60mm don't overtighten or the output gearbox shaft bearing will go.

I'd get a new chain and sprockets if they are old, sometimes a hooked front sprocket will be noisy

• Like 1

Hi, I've looked at the front sprocket and it looks worn.  I'm going to replace the lot. 

There's a pickup sensor and castellated nut I'll have to remove to get at the sprocket, is this a simple remove and what is this nut torqued to when I put everything back together?

Also, what is the torque setting for the sprocket nut?  

• 1 month later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online