Iron Butt Association: RBLR 1000 (15th - 16th June 2019)

This post is 1744 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys,

This weekend I’m taking part in the Iron Butt Association’s RBLR 1000 ride. It’s a charitable version of their SaddleSore 1000. Basically completing a 1000 ride within 24 hours.

I’ll be camping at Squires on the Friday night then leaving bright and early Saturday morning. I’ve chosen the Northern Clockwise route (there are 6 to choose from). That’ll take me from Squires towards Manchester then North past Carlisle, Glasgow and Fort William before crossing over to Wick. I’ll then head back to Squires via Edinburgh and Newcastle.

The charity in question is the Royal British Legion and I’ve been asked to raise just £50. I signed up to do this even very last minute and only created my Just Giving page last night. Please don’t feel obliged, but if you do wish to contribute any such amount for a worthy cause, you can do so here: http://www.justgiving.com/nina-rblr-2019.

A few years ago I completed a SaddleSore 1000 and, physical bugbears aside, the biggest challenge was tiredness and boredom. Sadly to cover the distance you’re forced to use main roads and trust me - after 12 hours it becomes a mental struggle to stay focussed! I hadn’t planned on doing another one of these, purely because of the boredom, but it’s for charity and a good excuse to get out on the bike! Kind of wishing I hadn’t just our new tyres on my bike though...!

Anyway, I’ll update back here once I’ve *hopefully* completed the ride.

• Like 2

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well done Bips, sent you a contribution and hope it helps, Ride safe. :)

• Like 1

That’s just wonderful, thanks so much Slice. Hope all is ok with your wife’s treatment.

WELL DONE YOU, Always a good cause the RBL.

Hope the weather behaves

• Like 1

You’re a legend, Drewps. Thanks for the donation!

The weather isn’t behaving itself currently... I’m already preparing for a downpour in a hope I’ll be pleasantly surprised (or relieved?...)!

• Like 1

Thank you so much for the donation, Tommy! You guys are the best. [emoji18]

You certainly should see me the weekend after. I’ve got the time off work. I’m basically trialling my dog this weekend I’m some new kennels. If he settles then he’ll be staying there for the YOC meet. That would be the only thing stopping me, as even though he loves motorbikes, he’s not so good at balancing on the pillion seat...

• Haha 1

Thank you Jimmy - it means a lot!

If I wasn’t on such a time constraint then I’d make the time to swing by and say hello to a fellow Triumph fan (ignoring the fact I’m currently on a Beemer...) *cough* *cough*

• Like 1

Just wanted to drop a “thanks” on here for Airheads very kind donation. I sent a text but am not sure whether you still have the same number after all this time...

Anyway - if you read this (don’t see you in here much anymore), then THANK YOU!

I like to be organised, so I’m already packed and ready for the off [emoji41]

Well today is the day I’m heading off to Squires for my overnight camp. And surprise, surprise... it’s raining. I was hoping for a dry arrival at least so that I could start the day with dry kit, but that’s clearly not going to happen...!

Checking the Saturday & Sunday forecast at each major city I’m passing by on the ride, and yep, you guessed it... rain!

• Like 2

You shame me bipps, I won't willingly go out in anything over a 40% chance of rain 😳

Well Bipps (and Drewps, although I don't quite get the xmas gag) shamed me and today I willingly went out in the pouring rain to head down to Ayr for the Classic Bike show. Glad I did as the rain eased off after about 10 miles and I had a great run out on my Triple. Not many Yams there, a couple of obligatory elsies and these two.

433.jpg

434.jpg

I think this may have been last year, but it just downloaded with the other pics

439.jpg

• Like 1

Well done Bips, just looked up the map you supplied and it seems you have achieved the mission! Hope you managed to get it done without too much trouble? Credit where credit is due one bike one woman and one numb arse is what it should have said. You now have bragging rights over us old farts :) 

Hey everyone, so I’m glad to report that I completed the ride and made it safely home without incident I started at 0510 and finished at 2445 on the Saturday.

Overall I had a great time, it was my first time doing a group event like this (I’m a natural-born solo rider), and I wasn’t part of the BMW GS/GSA or K/R, big boys clan) but I did enjoy myself. Everyone was very welcoming and I had a good time on the Friday evening. It was a shame to see so few women (I counted two other riders and one pillion), but as is the nature of the game I guess.

For the actual ride I went solo, leaving 10 minutes after the eager folk, but in reality at times I often found myself riding at the back of a group, or knowing that there were others close behind me. At every fuel stop I bumped into other riders. Iron Butt verified receipts and mileage upon arrival so I got handed my certificate straight away and they also had bacon butties and hot drinks on hand which was greatly received.

After a chat, toilet break, dismantling my tent in the rain, fog and darkness, then trying to find a petrol station who was open in a place I’m unfamiliar with, I made it home around 0330 this morning. I’m glad I didn’t stay another night at Squires. The weather was less than desirable and I wanted my comfortable bed! I’ve had a good chat and only have a few minor aches which Mr. Ibuprofen has sorted.

It was a very wet ride in places, and there was a lot of fog around, but since owning the bike I have made a few practical mods - higher seat, bigger screen, etc. which have helped in making it suited to long trips. I would have found the last leg (Berwick to Squires) difficult if I hadn’t of tagged onto the back of a couple of riders. My concentration was dwindling and thick fog required good attention. They kept a fast pace which I wouldn’t have done if I was on my own.

Finally, I just wanted to thank you all again for your donations. I don’t know the total amount raised for the event (yet), but I have contributed over £160. I had originally asked for just £50 sponsorship so I’m very happy to have given more for a worthy cause! So thank you all again [emoji846]

• Like 1

brilliant and well done.

Not something I'm keen to emulate just yet

• Like 1

Well done bipp never doubted you’d complete it. Not because I think it’s easy, there’s no way I could do it especially given the weather conditions. Bet you were glad it wasn’t on a speed triple this time.

• Like 2