Chroming

Cynic
This post is 1760 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Whats it cost these days, most of the brightwork is in ok nick just some light pitting, you could call it patina but the rear mudguard was painted in the past.  Obviously if that is sorted and goes on looking like a new pin the rest will look shit so would be looking at doing it all.

The rear guards rot like politicians so just having a solid one is a blessing. It should be chromed but have never even looked at chroming stuff. 

Is it possible on mildly corroded/ratty parts like the rear muddy or cost prohibitive.

Its going to be a rider not a poser.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Chroming is never going to be cheap cos of the time and labour it takes to get it on. Why not try one of these chrome spray on paints? it's not like real chrome but can be really good results from what I see on the net. Some stuff like " ALSA" easy chrome is wayyyy out there when it comes to price but the cheaper stuff can cost as little as £4 a tin. What's to lose really if it don't work or you don't like it go the chrome route!

True, I will look at them. The rear mudguard was painted black, to cover the advanced pitting. Shame as the rest of the chrome is just a little weathered now I have cleaned it all.

Tcut and wire wool followed by that neat touch with the tin foil. Don't know what it does and it takes patience but it brings it back. To a probably even better, looks like its 40years old but tidy, appearance.

If the chrome paint looks naff I think my fall back will be to paint it the same colour as the bike. Then replace the chrome fittings (that you can still get for stupidly cheap money). 

Its a rider so i'm going to stone chip/rustproof the underside of the mudguards and such. Seeing as they normally rot from the inside out.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online