The age old question....

Cynic
This post is 1762 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

What do we think, I have started doing up my H#nda 175, I have it down to a bare frame. 

Do I blast and powder coat or strip it the old fashioned way with some elbow grease then paint. Its never going to win a concourse event or do more than couple of hundred miles a year, just be my nice toy. Never win a race but its got enough go to put a big smile on your face, brakes that will take it right off again though.

The wife and I fancy taking it to next years classic tt, the full 70's thing. 

Paint is cheap but needs a bit of effort, powder cost money and time,looking at a month for either of the two near me, although it may be less but they wont commit.

? decisions.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well I've done the "sand and paint" thing and also the "powder coat" thing and to be honest paint is not the fun thing to do while giving it to someone else is not nice on the wallet, so at my age! I go for the powder coat but as your just a "boy" :) you should have the pleasure of saying to any one that askes " no I did by hand" , not only will they be impressed (for about 30 seconds) but you can feel smug about all the old farts that can't or won't do it themselves.

LOL, been a long time since I was called 'boy', pops.

I have a killer twisted wire brush that fits my grinder that will make it quite easy to strip. Need a shower after though.

I prefer powder coat. It’s 3 times cheaper than getting it wet painted

I had my Honda 400/4 frame powder coated along with the swinging arm, battery shelf, and a few bits and bobs. I stripped off all the paint to save money they just dipped it prior to powder coating it. i appreciate mine was done over 30 years ago but it's still perfectly intact today. A little dull in places but all the hard to reach parts are unaffected. A friend of mine sanded and painted his frame similar time and his rust came through the paint in only a few years. He then stripped it all down again....and repainted it, not unsurprising it lasted a bit longer but the rust particles still came through. Back in 2011 i had the DT175 parts powder coated 5 parts in all:- swinging arm, chain bracket and tensioner arm, sidestand and brake pedal. £50 the lot. All still looking good and the DTs been well used in the rain.

I'd go with the  powder coating myself.

PS It's not a sin to mention its a Honda Cynic.! why the hashtag? 😁

Similar to above, I got a Triumph frame blasted and coated whilst my mate stripped and painted his. My bike got stolen about 6yrs later, still perfectly coated whilst his needed redone (twice in that time if I recall), so I would go powdercoat

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online