Need some MORE help please

Morillo
This post is 1720 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Afternoon all.

Well I think I broken it

Hopefully something and nothing but as I was coming home at 23:00 down the M56 last night the boy didn’t sound to be fully on song and I noticed that the lights slightly flickering on the dash then I saw 2 or 3 white flashes near my right knee and that was it he decided to have a sleep I was in lane 3 and was passing a couple of cars so I backed off a tad to fall behind the cars then i coasted across to a slip road with no hard shoulder and parked it in the widest part which was about twice the width of the bike and sat on the barriers and called recovery , got it home but I haven’t got a clue where to start.

im guessing it’ll be plugs at the least and maybe leads so any ideas 

thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I would look to find out what the 2 or 3 white flashes were. Sounds like electrical arcing somewhere. Look around the area the flashes were and see if you can find any evidence of short circuiting (black sooty marks, melted wires, etc)

When the bike died, was it everything or just the engine. Do you have any power at all now. If not find the fuse box and check all fuses, then still find the short circuit and fix that.

The plugs would not cause the white flashes, although dodgy HT Leads or Caps can. Was it raining

Thanks Jimmy

ill have a look on Saturday. No rain just a nice dry night, it was just the engine that went to sleep so still had lights.

i tried to start the bike but it was as if it had a flat battery and wouldn’t even attempt a turn for the ignition.

I’m guessing its fairings off to get and plugs and leads 

thanks 

• Like 1

That arc-ing    has flattened the battery,   loose wire ,  charge it fully ,see if she  starts, then check the charging,  then  dark shed   to see them flashing  wires ,

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

all fuses present and correct non blown and no visible black scorch marks nothing 

Plug leads maybe ?

I'm stuck as nothing visible so plugs leads at the weekend and the battery is now on trickle charge, battery was fully charged as I had it charging before he had a melt down so something has flattened it

Theres a mobile bike mechanic who I’ve used in the past but he’s booked up till June now ??‍♂️

Thanks 

• Like 1

Whereabouts in the Country are you bud. There is a pinned post at the top of this section titled "are you willing to help" If you post your area folk nearby may be able to offer hands on assistance

Thinking to where you saw the white flashes, fair enough there is no burn marks, but any loose wires/connections in that area. Once the battery is charged, see if the bike will fire up and if so and ticking over, try moving wires or components from that area to see if you can replicate the flashes. If you have a multimeter put that across the battery terminals (reading volts) and see what it says, then rev it up a bit to see if this figure raises. If no multimeter, a simpler way if to switch on main beam at tick over then rev up to see if the lights get brighter. This will help indicate whether the alternator is charging the battery

3 minutes ago, jimmy said:

Whereabouts in the Country are you bud. There is a pinned post at the top of this section titled "are you willing to help" If you post your area folk nearby may be able to offer hands on assistance

Thinking to where you saw the white flashes, fair enough there is no burn marks, but any loose wires/connections in that area. Once the battery is charged, see if the bike will fire up and if so and ticking over, try moving wires or components from that area to see if you can replicate the flashes. If you have a multimeter put that across the battery terminals (reading volts) and see what it says, then rev it up a bit to see if this figure raises. If no multimeter, a simpler way if to switch on main beam at tick over then rev up to see if the lights get brighter. This will help indicate whether the alternator is charging the battery

Top man thanks for the ideas

I’m in Warrington and I’ll have a look tomorrow 

thanks again boss 

3 hours ago, Morillo said:

Drewpy ??

Its a YZF600R Thundercat 2003 

ta 

If you’re at home tomorrow afternoon I could nip over and have a look

pm me your address and phone number 

• Like 3

Brilliant work Drewps. That's what's great about this forum

3 hours ago, drewpy said:

He’s not responded, I tried

Not responded as I was called into work so apologies on my behalf, I didn’t read your message until late last and was going to reply this morning but was called in to work to cover sickness.

That was a very kind and generous offer by the way.

The mechanic I’ve used in the past managed to call this afternoon on his was home and he’s had a quick look and said it’s the ‘rectifier’ I ain’t a clue but he shown me it when he removed it from under the tank.

Hr said that it’s a newish unit but when the old one broke they didn’t check the wiring connector to the unit and he shown me that 2 of the connectors that had previous burnt plastic on them had not been swapped hence causing the new unit to not connect fully causing a loose connection that’s causing it to misfire and for the bike to be only running on it’s battery and that’s why it lost all power 

Thanks again and please don’t think I was being ignorant and not getting back to you Drewp ??

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, drewpy said:

No worries mate, glad you got it sorted ?

Hopefully sorted ?

He’s going to do a rewire then reconnect the unit and see what’s occurring 

thank again drewp 

Like I said I’m only 10 mile away so if I have time, happy to help

• Like 1

Hello all.

Had the bike checked over and had a rewire into the rectifier regulator but it’s seems that the regulator is fubared. Was hoping t was just the wire but hey ho.

Can anyone recommend anywhere to buy a decent reliable rectifier regulator from, there’s such a difference in prices I don’t want to buy a cheap unreliable part then have to pay out again in 12 months 

Thanks 

Glad you got it sorted Morillo, like I've always said, shouldn't have got rid of horses, when they go wrong all you have to do is shoot it and get another one. (only joking)
The only place apart from Wemoto I get spares from if Fowlers of Bristol albeit genuine spares but they do a fantastic mail order.
Mike.

1 hour ago, mike1949 said:

Glad you got it sorted Morillo, like I've always said, shouldn't have got rid of horses, when they go wrong all you have to do is shoot it and get another one. (only joking)
The only place apart from Wemoto I get spares from if Fowlers of Bristol albeit genuine spares but they do a fantastic mail order.
Mike.

Thanks Mike 

I’ll give it a look 

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online