Question on yamaha xs750

Motozombie
This post is 1795 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello. I recently purchased an xs750, 1977, and am in the process of trying to get it running. The carbs are completely missing and I am buying parts hearer and there to assemble the missing assembly. A few people I know are telling me that the shaft drive on these made turning difficult. While I am not making any changes until I've gotten it riding and determine for myself whether this is needed or not, I cant help hit wonder how difficult it would be to convert this bike to Chain drive would be. Does anyone have an idea on this? Thanks!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well that's not the first time I have heard this and I can assure you it's utter nonsense. Old wives tales never seem to die do they? There is little to no difference between a chain and a drive sprocket when it comes to bikes. Ask whoever told you this how they know and I bet it was that someone told them! I have ridden both chain and shafties there is not a jot of difference.

I rode an XS1100 for about 8 years and if there was a difference, I never noticed. I happily jumped from that to my Bonnie (chain driven) with no alteration of riding (chain v shaft wise anyway)

• Like 1

I've had a shaft driven XJ-650 for best part of 29 years.  Best clean and maintenance free final drive you could wish for.

Edited by DutchFJ1200

It was a guy that owned one that today me. He also said the kickstart would break often...mine is broken, and that 2nd gear will never work...seemed odd to me that second would never work...

Hi there,  a mate had one New in 1978,  i did ride pillion , i remember he locked the back wheel down shifting into a corner, ,  but i had a shaft Kawasaki , and i didnt feel any difference to a chain drive,  the XS750  wasnt the most powerfull bike, but sounded good,  lots of RD parts fit also ,:welcome:

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a '78 triple for years. The shaft drive was known for the shaft-gear "climbing" the ring gear in the rear end when you nailed it. Supposedly you'd feel the back of the bike rise. I never noticed anything at all, until last year when I first got my '72 650 with chain-drive on the road. The first time I nailed it, the rear end "sank." I felt it squat - the exact opposite of what the triple doesn't do. It's pretty cool, but the triple just takes off.

As for switching? It's be next to impossible. The driveshaft runs through the lefthand swing-arm leg, for one thing, and the whole arm lacks the typical mounting points.

Just ride it, change the fluid occasionally, and save the money from chains and sprockets for buying rounds for your friends at brew pubs.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online