Dt175mx dating from frame numbers.

Nutler
This post is 1279 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

i have recently purchased a Frankenstein dt , thought it was a dt125lc (engine is anyway) but when checking the numbers I find that I can’t identify the year for certain. The frame appears to be a dt175mx but I get differing info for it’s year, and the engine I recognise as a dt125lc but again I cannot seem to accurately date it.

I need to obtain a V5 and really need to know the ages involved. If the frame is 175mx then the engine will be changed for a more appropriate one, but would still be nice to know the engine age as well as frame if possible.

frame number.    2k400612**.  Last two numbers hidden for obvious reasons.

engine number.   2Y50043**.    Again last two hidden

If anyone can provide any info on this I would really appreciate it.

I have contacted Yamaha but no response.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
8 hours ago, Nutler said:

Hi all,

i have recently purchased a Frankenstein dt , thought it was a dt125lc (engine is anyway) but when checking the numbers I find that I can’t identify the year for certain. The frame appears to be a dt175mx but I get differing info for it’s year, and the engine I recognise as a dt125lc but again I cannot seem to accurately date it.

I need to obtain a V5 and really need to know the ages involved. If the frame is 175mx then the engine will be changed for a more appropriate one, but would still be nice to know the engine age as well as frame if possible.

frame number.    2k400612**.  Last two numbers hidden for obvious reasons.

engine number.   2Y50043**.    Again last two hidden

If anyone can provide any info on this I would really appreciate it.

I have contacted Yamaha but no response.

The frame is an MX, a late early model if that makes sense, should have a round sw arm. Known as a 2K4, chassis number 2k4-000101 on.

The subsequent 2X2 and 4J4 model codes (little different to look at) were 2k4-01 and 2k4-02. So def early mx.

Cant help much with the engine number but there were some cross over mongrels of lc and mx parts bin match ups. Things in the early 80@s were not as exacting as they are now. The early LC was quite literally a Mx bottom end with a water pump and and a barrel pinched from an rd 250. An lc barrel fits a 125/175 bottom end if your interested. No idea if it would run, port height, deck heights etc?. But illustrates the point.

Mines an early DT175MX with round tube swinging arm first registered in May79 but built in 1978. The  number is 2K4 3XXX. That might give you an idea or at least a date to work from.

The first round arm type were 78-79 the middle one was only available for a few months in 79 then the last 4j4 model ran till as late as 85 with the very last of the stock as they couldn't give them away because of the learner laws.

Hi, thank you for comments.

I have now cleaned a bit more paint off the frame numbers and it appears to me that it has been re stamped, it just doesn’t look right. The frame has quite a few differences to a 2k4 (as stamped) but can’t seem to find a similar frame photo to compre. The is a bulbous nodule on the upright  that the radiator frame screws to that is not present on a yz or a  Dt. I have photos but can’t see how to upload them.

1 hour ago, Nutler said:

Hi, thank you for comments. I have photos but can’t see how to upload them.

Uploading pictures is easy

Upload your pictures into postimage

Once you have uploaded pictures click on hotlink for forums and copy url

paste in here  

On the link there are 2 x https text. You may need to delete the s at the end of each, you may not

I also need to obtain a v5c log book for a really early dt175mx ?

Not sure if the bike is an import or uk bike, frame number is 2k4 0005xx & the numbers are good and not messed with.

Hope someone can help me, Many thanks in advance

Regards, Ronnie

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Airhead said:

Paul Dawkins might be able to help, try the aircooled RD forum?

I got an email address off the DVLC website which was for something "air-cooled". I sent an email to the address and got a reply saying yes no problem, just send us some pictures of the bike, frame and engine numbers along with I think £30 and they'd issue a dating certificate.

I haven't done anything as yet as have other priorities with the bike...

Where I'm not too sure about what to do is with the Nova because apparently it's a German bike and I don't know how long it's been in the country or whether it's been imported properly or not. I have half an idea what to do and will find out as soon as I start filling forms in but again it's low down on my list although thinking about it, I should probably put it near the top before I do too much to this bike, just in case like... 🤔

Job number 1 is to make sure you have ownership and no duties/debts/losses owed by  the bike caused by previous owners or commitments to previous owners.

Would be a real shit to get work done only to find it was a total write off a few years ago, or you get it finished register it and then the police turn up, thank you for your efforts and take it away because its stolen property.

It is literally job 1, i cannot emphasize this enough.

• Like 2

If its from the EU,   thers no Vat    due,,,  they will issue a N,O,V,A,     number,  you need to do it online,, Gov.co.uk,,,,,Sign up,,,then select   Nova  section ,,

• Like 1

On 9/24/2020 at 8:42 PM, Airhead said:

Paul Dawkins might be able to help, try the aircooled RD forum?

Sent payment off then went to send pictures and they bounced because apparently his mailbox is full. 😐

Sent a message without pictures, hopefully he gets back to me soon... 🤓

On 9/25/2020 at 10:42 AM, Cynic said:

Job number 1 is to make sure you have ownership and no duties/debts/losses owed by  the bike caused by previous owners or commitments to previous owners.

Would be a real shit to get work done only to find it was a total write off a few years ago, or you get it finished register it and then the police turn up, thank you for your efforts and take it away because its stolen property.

It is literally job 1, i cannot emphasize this enough.

Point taken!