Biker down course

drewpy
This post is 1801 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just done a biker down course and learned a great deal about first aid for bikers and scene management.

they also showed a vid on why we have smidsey 

just thought I’d share it

• Like 2

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Admin

I wish they had something like Bikerdown out here, all the training that I've found so far is track based. Which sort of defeats the object for me. They don't teach SMIDSY out here, not sure why.

Anyone who doesn't know of it.

• Like 2

Been meaning to go on one of these, Drewpy - something for this year perhaps...

I'm now looking at Bike safe  course now.

https://www.bikesafe.co.uk/

Only £35 for a day and they assess your riding and offer tips. run from Fire stations but use police riders.

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 12:26 AM, Alex said:

Have you done anything with IAM or BMF?

not as yet, see what they recommend on this course

I did a Bikesafe course a couple of years ago, was a great day. An hour or so based in the classroom, followed by an observed ride out and decent feedback.

I was told I'm a safe/cautious rider, but could improve my riding and observations by not staying to the left hand side of the road as much (as appropriate).

I keep meaning to do IAM or similar when I find time.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2019 at 9:14 PM, clarke said:

I was told I'm a safe/cautious rider, but could improve my riding and observations by not staying to the left hand side of the road as much (as appropriate).

I'm sure these courses have their benefits but road/driving circumstances change hourly/daily in real life and some things cannot be taught from a book or on a closed track.

Pre-empting which way a cager is going to move (sometimes even before the cager knows) in any circumstance is a skill you learn only by being on the bike and the longer you have done that the better you get at it.

Re sitting on the LHS of the road, no way is appropriate.  Make yourself as big as you can by sitting as much between the middle and/or close to RHS of the road as possible.  I often see these guys, mostly on 'lighter' bikes, tucked in to the left behind a truck or a van with absolutely no view or idea what is happening 50/100 yards up the road.

Safe and cautious sometimes does not cut it - some circumstances demand a more aggressive stance to keep the cagers from having a pop at you.

I don't think the tutors would like me much ?

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, I didn't mean LHS of my lane, but rather it was suggested I could ride on the other side or the road, where appropriate, to give me an observational advantage or help me go straight/progress, rather than staying in my lane.

Completely agree about riding being the best way to improve your skills :thumb:

Edited by clarke

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 2:33 PM, DutchFJ1200 said:

I'm sure these courses have their benefits but road/driving circumstances change hourly/daily in real life and some things cannot be taught from a book or on a closed track.

Pre-empting which way a cager is going to move (sometimes even before the cager knows) in any circumstance is a skill you learn only by being on the bike and the longer you have done that the better you get at it.

Re sitting on the LHS of the road, no way is appropriate.  Make yourself as big as you can by sitting as much between the middle and/or close to RHS of the road as possible.  I often see these guys, mostly on 'lighter' bikes, tucked in to the left behind a truck or a van with absolutely no view or idea what is happening 50/100 yards up the road.

Safe and cautious sometimes does not cut it - some circumstances demand a more aggressive stance to keep the cagers from having a pop at you.

I don't think the tutors would like me much ?

I was 'removed' from an IAM ride out because I refused point blank to ride in 2 columns side by side. I wanted to ride in a stagger. They said it takes too much space, seeing as it was pissing with rain at the time I stated I wanted a way out in an emergency, I was on the inside getting hit by the rooster tail of spray coming off the sports bike ahead of me. Ruining my vision.

They moaned if I dropped back, they moaned if I moved out of line, they moaned if I moved to the middle in corners to get out of the crap. They basically moaned, full stop. 

In the end they said if I cannot follow their 'safe' way I could not continue except at the rear. So I left the IAM to their own stupidity and have never regarded them as anything more than self important muppetts feeding off greener riders inexperience.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Cynic said:

I wanted a way out in an emergency ....

self important muppets feeding off greener riders inexperience.

Glad you see it that way too.  If I do stick my front wheel in a potential situation there has to be a bail out plan.  May not be pretty but at least I'll live.

Do they have beards and wear sandals ?