1982 XJ550 Maxim Rebirth

Ryengoth
This post is 1570 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Oh well done mate ! You must be well chuffed to have it running after all that faffing around. Bet you neighbours just LOVE the no exhaust sounds :) 

• Like 1

Absolutely! That was late at night with the garage door closed. 😂 I forgot the ear muffs. Pipes are temporarily back on after ripping up the gaskets and collars to get the system apart. There is so little clearance you have to install the exhaust in 3 pieces to get it to fit. Needless to say it was the original system and the copper gaskets were happily married to both pieces at every joint. Hammer and chisel were required for a few divorces. Looks like I may be running it as-is for a while. I won't spend $1000 on a new exhaust system. The collector is in good shape thank goodness so I just need decent header pipes and maybe 2 new mufflers at some point. I can work on carb sync and tuning now properly and without going deaf. I still have to balance the rear wheel and get the rest of the bike back together.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Waiting on new clutch plates to rebuild the clutch and then I will be re-tuning with the colortune and doing another sync with the gauges. The stack looked good (apart from the friction discs) until I unstacked it. A few were black from being burnt up so I decided to just put all new discs and plates in the clutch. Less worry about something blowing apart.

Pack Rat.. Finally got around to purging the 'ole shop. I removed about 2 pick-up truck loads of junk so far and still have a big mess of a bench to clean up and shelving with stuff I'll never use. This is where the XJ will live and I suppose I get to split the tools up between the two work areas. The Saab 9000 will be coming into the main garage soon for continuation of that project a BIT closer to home, without the dyno and airport noise and on a more regular basis. It will need most of the tools considering Saab likes to use every metric fastener size and type on the planet.

jWtIIM7.jpg

I have a project thread on SaabScene and SaabCentral. It's going to be a looonnng fix-up. It still won't drive but I did get it running at the beginning. Electrical issues now.

https://www.saabscene.com/forum/threads/249954-1994-9000-CDE-NT-Project

Here's a couple of shots from when I was looking at it. 4-cyl, non-turbo, 5-speed CD model. It was a $200USD impulse purchase. Inoperable clutch, no battery, but the owner was a mechanic and said it sat for 4 years after running with a busted clutch. The interior is horrid. I will be spending a LOT of time and hopefully not too much cash over the next few years. It will be a nice car for the girls to learn on and drive when it's all done. I have twin daughters so they get to fight over who will drive it on the weekends. 😂

fVwqnjB.jpgsGit8q4.jpg