Ear protection

Alex
This post is 1857 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

• Admin

I've had enough of listening to the droning noise from the akropovic on my commutes and have just ordered some 'better' foam ear plugs (Hearos  Xtreme Protection NRR 33).

I'm now thinking I should have gone down the custom route, is anyone using them? 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'm still on rolled up loo roll (unused....usually)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I tried all sorts. Could not get on with any. Did not try the custom ones. 

Ended up buying a lid based very much about noise. Much better. 

4 hours ago, jimmy said:

I'm still on rolled up loo roll (unused....usually)

Aye jim"    you can take the Lad out of the Gorbals  "  --------?

• Haha 1

• Admin
8 hours ago, Cynic said:

I tried all sorts. Could not get on with any. Did not try the custom ones. 

Ended up buying a lid based very much about noise. Much better. 

What helmet are you using and did it actually make much difference?

I never got on with those cheap foam ones. Have been using slightly more expensive, Alpine ones which are comfortable and good at dampening noise. Had them for years and have faired well.

Earplugs are an odd one really - I love them on motorway trips and they genuinely help lessen fatigue on a long trip, but I don’t much enjoy them when paying for fuel or when I used to commute into central London as I felt one of my senses was missing.

Anyway I’ve now stuck the largest, ugliest screen onto my already ugly BMW so that helps loads! Haha

Oh and I found that different helmets make a big difference. When I upgraded I noticed a big reduction.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Alex said:

What helmet are you using and did it actually make much difference?

An AGV KV3. 

Amazing. Without question the most comfortable and quietest helmet I have ever had. Its as loud without plugs as my old shoe was WITH. 

Although blackhat has the same and thinks its shite. Depends on you and your bike maybe? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

I'm tempted by the Schuberth C3 Pro Helmet, just expensive and I can't get one to try before buying.

I’ve got the C4. Certainly quieter than my old flip (Caberg) and more streamline - but never going to be as quiet as a non-flip.

I tried on the cheaper C3 at the same time but opted for the other one because it actually felt more comfortable - plus I liked the fact the intercom wiring was all internal. Sizing between the two was different (for me anyway at least).

• Admin

@bippo I haven't seen the C4 out here, will have to take another look and see if can be ordered from anywhere. I've currently got the Shark Evoline 3 flip which lets a lot of wind noise through, that and the horrid droning when commuting is awful.

That aside, I got the new plugs through and tried them this morning and they are noticably better than the previous foam ones I was using.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online