Chain Cleaning and Lubing?

JohnR6
This post is 6484 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello,

After my bike's 600 mile service, the clock is nearly reading 1500 miles. I think it's time to clean and lube my chain but I've never done it before, can someone post some tips on how to do this?

I'm thinking of using a can of WD-40 with a rag to clean the chain and then spray some Wurth Dry Lube on it which I've bought the other day. Also, I don't have a stand for my bike so what's the best way in doing this on my own?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I don't have a stand as well John.......I just use the sidestand to pivot the bike up onto......a well-placed jackstand under the right footpeg helps emmensly! ;)

I've heard that Wurth stuff is the Dog's danglies......just can't find it here :unsure:

Guest Tomg

i use motrax de-greaser on my chain to get the crap off. then spray dry wax chain lube on the INSIDE on the chain, nowhere else. the centrifugal force of the chain round the sprockets will pull the lube all the way through the chain without your engine casing, mudgurad, bellypan and undertray looking like sh!t.

paddock stand are getting quite cheap now, seen one for just £15 the other day, they are very useful... :)

Thanks for the advise.

Yeah, I was looking at some rear stands too for my bike, seen them for £35 which is still OK price but where did you see them for £15? That's a bargain!

I went to Halfords last night and bought a load of cleaning produces for my bike aswell. Got myself some de-greaser to clean the chain, some metal polish to clean all the crap stuck on my end can and some Castrol bike polish! :)

Gunna try and clean my bike tonight and do the chain. When lubing the chain, I think I might just have to do the old push your bike down the drive a little bit at a time to cover the whole chain or get the missus to hold the bike while it's pivoting on the stand and front wheel. :lol:

I always use Parafin and a tooth brush to clean the chain on my R6, it cleans all the crap out and doesn't harm it, I ride about 15k miles a year and get about 15k from a chain (all weather use).

After cleaning I spray water all over the chain to get rid of the loose gunk, and then on a Paddock stand start the bike up click her in gear and give her a little throttle so as to fling any hidden crap and dispel the water from the chain. Then whilst she's running and still in gear I spray Wurth Chain Lube on the chain from the inside of the chain and hold a rag on the outside so as to capture any excess lube from spraying over the wheel/tyre, I normall spray a bit on the rollers from the outside as well so they get lubed up against the sprocket.

Guest Tomg

Thanks for the advise.

Yeah, I was looking at some rear stands too for my bike, seen them for £35 which is still OK price but where did you see them for £15? That's a bargain!

www.bfmmotorcycles.co.uk

saw it in performance bikes, rear stand is £15, fornt is £30 or both for £40 squid!!! well worth it for that price if they are needed really!! hope that helps :)

• Admin

Yep the Wurth stuff is excellent, used to be able to get it free from my dads company as they have an account with them...

Dont use wd40 to clean your chain, its not a degreaser and will leave a protective film behind which will stop the lubricant from adhering properly.

I used to use a brush system which clipped over the bike chain which is really good, as helps keep your bike marginally cleaner during the process

i use my shotblaster to clean the chain, then take it off and boil it in cooking oil, then i hang it out on the line to dry, then i cover it in soap B)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online