XT 250 shock absorber ('83 model)

Oldfjman
This post is 1865 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Evening all,

Does anyone know if the rear shock unit used on the '83 XT 250 is the same as was used on any other bikes at the time - am thinking of DT 250 MX/DT 175 MX, or Yam IT of some size, or maybe an early XT 350 ?

Looking to replace the stock one already on a bike, but most suppliers don't list the "pre-Monocross" (linkage-style suspension) system XT's in their models ranges.

Cheers guys.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The DT250/400 Mono shock, went right up thru frame ,and bolted at the front of the tank,.  is the  Xt the same,?  lots of them about ,[ i might have one in shed, ,what beats me is the XT500   REMAINED A TWINSHOCK,  :headscratch:

Yep - it does run through the frame and mount at the front of the tank too - if you find it, could you check its length and diameter and let me know please (a photo would be great also).

We're really after an updated shock, but if yours is the same, maybe we could get it rebuilt/upgraded - would be happy to spend cash to get it "right" for some adventurous off-road riding ?

Edited by Oldfjman
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, blackhat250 said:

The DT250/400 Mono shock, went right up thru frame ,and bolted at the front of the tank,.  is the  Xt the same,?  lots of them about ,[ i might have one in shed, ,what beats me is the XT500   REMAINED A TWINSHOCK,  :headscratch:

Yeah, the lack of the monoshock was a huge marketing mistake for the XT 500 as far as I was concerned back then, and I still think that now. By the time they got to the 550 with the monoshock, the styling had just gone a bit too far for me. Had plenty of time on a monoshock YZ 400 back in the early 80's.......what a bike !!!!

• Like 1

Thanks Blackhat ? - that'll be great. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya Mr 'Hat - did you have any joy finding a shock ?

It's looking like we can't find anyone to do a rebuild/refurb/upgrade on one of these for less than about £650 and no-one seems to sell an aftermarket/uprated version as new.

So at the moment it's also looking like something else will have to be bought for actual trail riding/green laning, and the XT will be relegated to being a "show princess"

Hiya Mr 'Hat - did you have any joy finding a shock ?
It's looking like we can't find anyone to do a rebuild/refurb/upgrade on one of these for less than about £650 and no-one seems to sell an aftermarket/uprated version as new.
So at the moment it's also looking like something else will have to be bought for actual trail riding/green laning, and the XT will be relegated to being a "show princess"
Have you had a look at YSS shocks? I'm sure they'd have something that would fit

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Will check, and if not, will give them a try - thanks Finnerz ?

Busy week, and its in my mates container,,  was brought back from Stafford show, will pop in this week and see, .

Great thanks Mr Hat - would be good to know if sizes are the same ?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online