RD 250 1976

Hyperion
This post is 1938 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, I have a 1976 RD 250 that I am trying to get back on the road. It’s all back together and I have managed to get the motor started. It doesn’t run great that is the problem. If I start the motor on just the left hand cylinder ( the carb with the choke on) the bike starts, runs an revs as it should.

When I fire it up on the right hand cylinder it will only run if the choke is left on and it will not rev above 5000rpm the engine dies.

Timing looks good, points look good and I have a strong spark. Any ideas anyone might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Carbs need setting up properly and syncing together

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply, the carbs have been cleaned and new float needle kits fitted, the slides are in sync and operate freely. The throttle air screws have been set to 1 and a quarter turns out as per the manual. I have tried adjusting the throttle screw on the faulty side both up and down but with no joy. Am I missing something silly?

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard lots of variations on cleaning carbs, right up to giving them a good brushing with carb cleaner.

If that bike has been stood for a while you need to get in there with some copper wire (think flex) the twisted copper strands act as a brush without hurting brass or ally and use it to clear out ALL the airways and fuel galleys.

How did you balance the carbs? coffee stirrers work as a base set up, (put coffee stirrers under the slides then open the throttle slowly and the stirrers should move at the same time, didn't say it was technical) then ideally you need it running to tune it exactly as you fine tune the right cylinder to the left.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online