1975 Yamaha TX500A Questions

YamaChris
This post is 1979 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a 1975 Yamaha TX500A (I think) and I've got a few questions because although I'm not new to motorcycling...I am new to vintage motorcycles.  I want to begin by providing my VIN: 371208643.  The titled year of the bike is 1975, it's in fair condition (needs a lot of TLC and I don't have keys for it).  I was looking through shspowersports.com (I use them most often) for a new ignition/gas cap/seat lock that come with keys and the first thing I notice is that there is no TX500A in 1975 so I checked the sticker on the frame and the bike was produced in 1974 (expected).  Is it a common issue that the year on the title is incorrect or is the bike something other than a TX500A?  Also, is it possible to get a key made for the bike or does anyone know where I can get the three locks with the common key between them?

Thanks for any help!

Chris

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Chris welcome to the world of classic motorcycles!

I've just had a look at the website you refer to and find it very similar to cmsnl.com which has all the same parts diagrams and perhaps different spares available. As regards to the details and year of the model, you will often find slight discrepencies of vehicles that were produced pre computer!!! Back in the 70's there was no data being stored on computer! it was all in parts catalogues and micro-fiches. A bike that say was manufactured in late 1974 might well appear in the part catalogues as 1975 model by the time a new parts catalogue had been printed!

Today when companies add data to their websites i dare say they are not adding all the original data from these catalogues so there will be an element of 'rounding off'. Most of the times they will be spot on, but you have to allow a year either side with additional checking as part of your format when sourcing spare parts. especially when looking for something which is nearly fifty years old!

Your website you use is in the USA so you may have to wait for a fellow member to say where they go for keys and replacement locks.

In the meantime, why not pop over to the New members area and just post a brief introduction about yourself and where you are, you may meet some fellow bikers from your neck of the woods who may well help you out in the future.

All the best.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online