Yamaha XS400: Wont start and smoke

Johnny_Hamilton
This post is 1986 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys,

Novice motorbike owner here. A few weeks back I was practicing riding, and stalled one too many times, where it wouldn't start anymore. Not even lights would turn on when I moved the key to ignition.

I tried troubleshooting today just trying to start it normally. I turned the key and the lights actually turned on. I took a multimeter to the battery and it said 12.06 Volts, and with the lights one ~11.5 volts.

I tried starting and it would crank with the *click* sound, and not start. Then the third time I tried starting, I may have held the engine run switch on too long, then something started smoking and heard a "pow" sound.

There is some smoke coming from under the seat area. I decided to call it, and charge the battery.

Right now the battery is charging at 2 amps on a charger.

Any thoughts on next steps?

Cheers,

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You have flattened the battery and may have killed the starter solenoid. 

You could be lucky and have a bad connection/earth but the 'pow' noise says that something blew. 

Lower battery volts means increased current. Solenoid is designed to operate briefly. Sooooo.. 

Get the battery back back up to 13.5 volts and see what gives. 

Cool, thank you!

Last night I actually got it started and running for a bit after charging the battery for two hours.

This morning, I tried again and  itdidnt start after one cycle of pushing the engine run switch.

The battery is currently charging, gonna try it again in an hour or too.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Johnny_Hamilton said:

Cool, thank you!

Last night I actually got it started and running for a bit after charging the battery for two hours.

This morning, I tried again and  itdidnt start after one cycle of pushing the engine run switch.

The battery is currently charging, gonna try it again in an hour or too.

Thanks

Sounds like the battery may be toasted. 

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online