What is this? It's leaking.

Rok
This post is 1964 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KijcyxeKijcyxe5Z7Nc8vvS6

Hi. I'm new to motorcycles but am a long time car guy. I picked up a 1979 xs1100 and have come accross an oil leak. It is located in the center of the front of the engine. can someone please tell me what this is, I thought maybe it was some type of oil sending unit.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Welcome to the motorcycle world Rok.

The oil leak is coming from the cam chain tensioner at the front of the engine.  Japanese over head cam engines are all very similar (my 400/4 is a smaller version of your big boy).I appreciate yours is twin cam and mines single but the principle is exactly the same.

Cam chain tensioner XS1100 models

You need to get a haynes manual or similar which will give you detailed knowledge if you intend to do your own work. Exploded diagrams also help to understand what's what and there are plenty of websites about which will help you.

One of the best is cmsnl.com for diagrams and part numbers of all japanese bikes. Your XS1100 is included.

Hope this helps.

Edited by NE0

Thanks for the help. I've been pouring over diagrams online but couldn't pinpoint that part. Thanks again..

Why would It be leaking out of the center? Is the ACCT open to the motor. There doesn't appear to be any type of adj. screw in there. I was thinking of just ordering the manual adjuster.

I was also searching online for new guides for the chain and could not find any. Are there kits available to rebuild these?

Anyopinions?  All help is appreciated. 

It leaks from the centre because it's just a push in plug and it's probably nearly 40 years old! Oil is pumped to the top of the camshafts and runs back down all the open galleys, over the cam chain and back into the sump. Oil also drips from the lowest point so the chances are the gasket the tensioner housing is also shot.

The chain tensioner is automatic by the action of the spring. To adjust it, you loosen the side screw, the spring pushes against the tensioner moving it forward taking the slack out of the cam chain and the screw is then  retightened. They're not perfect by any means but they do function. 

N.B Honda 400/4 engines are well known for their "cam chain rattle" even after they've been retightend!!

PS. Just re looking at your photo.....it looks like the plug is actually missing! hence the leak!

(The gasket is bright green suggesting it's been off recently too.)

Edited by NE0

Ok. I ordered the plug. Thanks. Read a post I should RTV Siliconethe plug in. I'm assuming I do the adjustment with the motor off. Thx guys.

Edited by Rok

If it's NOT rattling, then there's no need to reset it!!

Yes It is done when cold, I would imagine with the plug missing and the new gasket someone previously has been doing something to it. If the engine runs smoothly and there is no cam chain rattle there's little to be gained by a re-adjustment. Personally, I'd leave well alone, especially as you're not that familiar with motorcycle engines....yet!

Put in the new plug and enjoy riding it.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online