Would you believe it.

Cynic
This post is 1959 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I had to go to the Docs a while back for an annual asthma check up, while I was there I mentioned I wasn't sleeping all that great and felt knackerd all the time.

Well she got me to come back for an MOT, "your at that age". So I went back and gave some blood etc, psa test so no gloves needed ? , eye test bit of a trip on a treadmill etc.

Turns out I'm Fking T2 diabetic. 

What a right royal pain in the arse, after looking into it you have to control your diet with supermodel obsession, and you would not believe what you can and cannot eat. Even the stuff you can eat you have to eat intelligently. 

I'm just starting to accept the life change, but the shock, how much better I feel. I mean really better. After reading a lot of information about it its also scary the amount of rumours and false advertising/labelling too. The words 'low sugar' are as abused as 'top quality'. 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sorry to hear that Cynic. I know It's not much help in your present situation but just remember there's always somebody worse off than you.

Mike.

Oh yeah, lots of worse but if you think about the affect it has on your life its up there. And unless directly affected nobody knows shit.

No beer, chips, rice potatoes etc etc. No take out, no cake, burgers (well the bun). Literally takes a massive life change. Don't forget it can still kill you. Not directly but the damage it does causes secondary failures, heart disease, stroke, nerve damage even limb amputations.

You cannot 'just' drop carbs either, you have to moderate things like salt, teaspoon a day around 5-7 g added to your diet. Take that to the Jamie Oliver camp. Fluids too. Can't just load up the protein as that knackers your liver.

It really is a kick in the balls. I'm not one to go ott about stuff, I'm a very, "Well that sucks, how do we deal with it?" kind of person rather than blubber and whinge but I have to admit to a bit of a wobble.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

CYNIC!!!!

I totally agree where you're coming from. You have a life changing condition. You have to change your lifestyle. Just adapt to it and get over it. Believe it or not you are not the only one to suffer from this condition.

Wow. Calm down. 

I KNOW I'm not the only one. I'm just expressing a feeling. There is little if any correct information out there. 

Just wanted to chew the fat with some friends about it. 

Hey Cynic. Tough call.

Sounds like you've done the reading and are making sensible choices (bet that sucks!). As you said, once you've adapted to the new regime you will feel a lot better so just hold on in there. There is lots of sensible advice out there, just learn to trust what the ingredients say, rather than the 'low sugar' sticker on the front. Oh, and advice from diabetic friends, stay away from 'diabetic' ranges of foods - they're massively overpriced and no better than any other product (that you've checked the label of!).

Go to Diabetes UK for proper advice and NEVER believe Dr Google...

Glad it got diagnosed, Cynic - well done for speaking up in order to get checked out. A friend of mine did similar a couple of years back (re. feeling lethargic) and it was that which caused them to find cancer. You never know what could be lurking.

I’ll confess to not knowing much about diabetes, but stick with the diet change and try not to see it as a burden. Someone at my old school has diabetes, but has never been able to “embrace” it. Below-the-knee leg amputation, blindness to the point where she has one glass eye, and many other complications means she doesn’t work and can’t lead much of a life. I don’t really have sympathy for her as these have been self-inflicted by her not able to accept the lifestyle changes required.

As Katie said - check specific charities for guidance and support. They may even hold evening talks where you can get your own questions answered? Seeing a nutritionist on help with recipes and meal plans could also take the stress away for you.

That's a bugger mate, as Katie said diabetics UK or similar organisations will help enormously with your life style choices, my Dad was diabetic for years and he ate very well within the rules that you have to cover. Lots of horror stories about losing limbs and going blind out there and if you had been diagnosed in the 1950s then this might happen but 50 years of advancements in the treatment and maintenance of diabetes means that practically no-one suffers from these things today unless your a total toss pot and ignore some simple rules. First things first, suck up ALL information from good professional organisations regarding your condition then make a plan, your family have to know what's what as well so they can help you deal with the condition, it's really not that hard mate just an adjustment of lifestyle and eating habits. As Katie said stay away from so called "diabetic ranges of food" it's simpler to read the frigging label on the food you buy than paying for someone else to do it for you. You will be amazed at how well you feel when you get your diet right. Good luck Mate.

Wow "  shocker jase"   i feel for yeh,,,  what brings this on ,,lifestyle? or hereditary ?  

4 minutes ago, blackhat250 said:

Wow "  shocker jase"   i feel for yeh,,,  what brings this on ,,lifestyle? or hereditary ?  

Just lucky, ?

Wow, thats gotta be a toughie to take when youre in your mature years, with a lifetime of bad habits. Chin up, once youre into the regime/lifestyle, youll become accustomed to it. Ive several in my family/relatives T1 and T2, those that have adapted you cant really tell a difference, the one that hasnt is constantly having secondary problems. Stick at it and neversaydie

No nothing about phosphates, going to be re-tested in January and have been told to try diet as a first option as im only just. Apparently if I change things now I may  go into remission, whereby your blood sugar levels are below a level that causes damage. Doesent stop you being diabetic as such but your not going to suffer from any secondaries, well no more than anybody else.

I have to say even in a couple of weeks I feel so much better in myself (apart from sore fingers), my 'gammy leg' has cleared up 80%, no more pins and needles. If fish and chips becomes a holiday treat because of it I can live with that. I  now feel like I could have picked up Jimmys Xj on my own when he, 'parked it'.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cynic said:

I have to say even in a couple of weeks I feel so much better in myself (apart from sore fingers), my 'gammy leg' has cleared up 80%, no more pins and needles. If fish and chips becomes a holiday treat because of it I can live with that. I  now feel like I could have picked up Jimmys Xj on my own when he, 'parked it'.

Well that's a big positive at least

So basically Cynic  you’re going to be twice the boring old fart we all know & luv ? yer not on your mate I’m not far behind you it’s chocolate I find the hardest 

So basically Cynic  you’re going to be twice the boring old fart we all know & luv [emoji14] yer not on your mate I’m not far behind you it’s chocolate I find the hardest 
That's because you leave it in the fridge for too long [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cynic mate just thought this might help, you might already have seen it but has some good information and as I said all info will help you deal with the problem.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/type-2-diabetes/finding-help-and-support/

bloody hell, that's a bummer. I love food, hence why I chose it as a career. (not for the money)

is there an app you can have to keep track of things. Would certainly make it easier to control.

Hopefully it'll become second nature

On 11/7/2018 at 3:46 PM, drewpy said:

bloody hell, that's a bummer. I love food, hence why I chose it as a career. (not for the money)

is there an app you can have to keep track of things. Would certainly make it easier to control.

Hopefully it'll become second nature

Is already. I feel too good to go back. With hindsight this has been with me for years. 

In the last couple of years I have cut out a lot of junk and eaten better and I think that has kept me on the edge. 

I'm assuming whatever balance I had wS tipped a few months back when I really started to feel washed out. 

Not going back. Low carb high fat is not for everyone but I love it. 

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online