'73 Yamaha DT250A

CalamariSquad
This post is 1986 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a older Yamaha DT250A. I don't know what the A means. It doesn't run, and any other forums I've checked out haven't been of any help. I'm just trying to identify what it is do limit my budget on a restoration.

(What does the A in DT250A mean?)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi there,

I think you might be over thinking it!

Generally it doesn't stand for anything! Naming conventions are just part of the manufactures plans and future plans. We'll call the first one A then B and the next C and so on. Occasionally some bright spark comes up with a gimmick and says let's call something MX which could be for Moto Cross "M X" but this is not common by any means!

The very first Ford car was the Model T, However, after its success Ford launched the Model A and then the B and so on but it never stood for anything. it's not like an Android OS naming convention!!

On the otherhand the manufactures rarely call something a "Mark1" or "Mark 2" of their product. It normally starts off just as a name and then when the next version comes out it gets dubbed by the  media/public "the Mark2" when it comes to differentiate it. Then, by default, the first model becomes the "Mark1". I can assure you Ford never launched the Ford Cortina in the early 60s as a Mark 1.  It was just a Ford Cortina! In fact when the replacement got launched, that too was a Ford Cortina. it was not badged as a Mark 2 on it's bodyshell. Advertising and Marketing coined the Mark names thereafter to help identify it. (I guess some of you reading this might wonder what a Ford Cortina is!......)

Hope this helps,

PS if you're going to stick around, pop over to the new members section and post a little introduction about yourself and you'll meet a few other members.

Edited by NE0

I don't know about production numbers, there wasn't millions of them. The DT range came out in the late 60's/ early 70's and the 'A' suffix was at the begining of the range of that particular model. ie. 'A' then 'B' and so on. Yours is a '73 so that would keep within expectations. Bear in mind also that each CC would have had its own range....DT50A DT175A, DT250A,  etc etc. There might have even been a DT250 followed by the 'A' and then the 'B'.

Each year or thereabouts an updated/modified version would come out and another letter added. Back in the 70's all manufactures, especially the japanese manufactures, were making leaps and bounds in a very short space of time, although many models sold in large numbers, some didn't, but it wasn't long before it was superseded by the next machine anyway!. The market was rich and plentiful with all us 'babyboomers' buying bikes!!

You just have to take into consideration what was happening all around (the World) at that time.

Edited by NE0