XJ900F Tyre choice and size

Steveford
This post is 1968 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

• 1 month later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Pretty much any sport touring tyre road tyre from the major manufacturers shoudl be fine. There are plenty of reviews available on the web. Asking for recommendations sometimes starts a tyre frenzy with every tom/dick/harry recommending soemthing. 

You can fit a slightly wider tyre on  than standard,  it pulls the tyre into a slightly more peaked shape,   they say it makes you tip in quicker on corners,  well i fitted a 190- on instead of a  180,  and noticed no difference ,  

wider tyres make it harder to turn, that's why racers started knee down corners and the old timers stuck with using tucked in methods ( I may be wrong though)

I keep with the stock tyres on the FZ but have gone a slightly wider rear on the TDM, i dropped the steering angle and kept the front aspect ratio for easier tipping in.

if your just doing a bar hopper type thing, it won't make a bit of difference 

• Like 1

This site offers a simple explanation of tyre size and profile, worth a quick read.

https://lifeatlean.com/motorcycle-tyre-sizes-and-profiles-explained/