Question about importing a YZF-R 125 from Europe to UK

cowanpete
This post is 2045 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Dear Yamaha fans, long story short I have brought a Yamaha YZF-R 125 from Switzerland to the UK. The bike belonged to my son, I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about motorcycles. The bike clearly has to be made UK-compliant, for example the headlights have to be modified so that the dipped beam is in the correct position. However one huge item is a module which "converts" the european "dashboard" from kilometers travelled and KPH to miles travelled and MPH. The dealer says that a UK bike would already have such a module to permit conversion but European bikes do not have that module and hence I need to buy one as part of UK compliance. The stock code is "5D7H35001300". And a cost of UK Pounds 253!!. Here are my questions, and I would be very grateful to hear from anyone who can assist... /1/ Does this sound a likely situation? Not suggesting the dealer would lie to me, just wondering if anyone on this forum has experienced the same issue? /2/ do you think that such a module could be sourced through the "second-hand" market, e.g. from a damaged motorcyle taken off the road and the owner selling parts, etc.?? /3/ Since I know nothing about motorcycles nor Yamaha, is this module likely to be specific to the Yamaha YZF-R 125 motorbike or is it more likely to be a generic module which could be installed in many Yamaha motorbikes?

Sorry if I have gone on too long, this is my first posting to the Forum. I look forward to hear from anyone who might be able to help or share a similar experience.

Pete

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi there, ok it seems your dealer is correct and in fact that's not a bad price, this is a rough estimate of a common price for this part £335. I would go down the route of  getting the part from a broken bike, be aware tho that you can get these in KPH and MPH so make sure you get the right one. I'm pretty sure that you CAN'T switch between the two as it seems they come in kph or mph only. Looks like it ONLY comes as a complete unit as well so there is nothing you can swap out from one to the other.

Look here, it says all you need to know. https://www.oemmotorparts.com/oem5.asp?M=Yamaha&T=YZF%20R%20%20125&Y=2012&L=YZF_R_125-2&O=METER&F=YA-YZF_R_125-2-Z-J25&L2=YA-YZF_R_125-2-Z-J25

Speedometer is not part of the M.O.T.,   And your headlight beam can be altered by using a bit of tape in the right place, .

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online