XVS950 - Starting Problem

SirQuej
This post is 2024 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys

I'm after peoples opinions if you don't mind...

I am having an issue at the moment with my XVS950.  It starts up fine on a morning and when its been stood for a while and is cold.  The problem comes when you ride it for an extended period (say half an hour), the bike wont start back up until its totally cooled off...

It's happened twice recently and both times after a 30 minute ride...it gets 10 minute rides everyday twice a day and there is no issue...starts every time but ride it for 30 minutes and it struggles to start back up if you don't leave it for at least an hour...

The people I've spoken to think its the starter motor....like its over heating or something....but I wanted to get some more opinions before I go out and buy a new starter motor...

Any Ideas?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

When you say it wont start, what are the actual symptoms of not starting, does the starter motor still spin the engine? 

More details of what's happening when it wont start are needed.

The starter motor has very little to do with actually starting the bike, sounds odd I know but all it does is turn the engine over, so if your motor turns over when you hit the button then there is nothing wrong with it, there are 3 things you need to make the bike engine run AIR FUEL and POWER nothing else matters. So check Carbs Tank and fuel lines then Air box and air filter after that check that you have a spark to the coils and plugs. Unfortunately you can only do this when it WON'T start as it sounds like the problem only occurs when it's hot. My best bet fuel starvation, try taking the fuel cap off of the tank when It does this. Might work but it will be something simple.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online