FJR valve clearance..!

slice
This post is 1938 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So decided I am just too idle to adjust the FJR valves myself so sent it into the shop for them to do it (FJ OWNERS CLUB). It's actually a lot of work to adjust the valves on the FJR, lot's of pipe work and draining fluids and such plus remove the cam shafts and truth to tell I have other things that I wanted to do. So drag the wife out with me in the car so she can bring me home after I drop off the bike, that's about the nearest I am ever going to get her on the thing..! Said they would call me when it's ready, it takes about 3 hours to cool down before you can tackle this job as it needs to be stone cold for the actual adjustment, this is at 9.30 Friday AM. Get a call at 4.30 PM and expecting to go and pick it up and bring it home, so glad I got someone else to do it, the cross cooling pipe at the top of the head had sheared off when they tried to remove it (bugger) at £140 each this is going to sting I think but guess what they broke a bolt in the thermostat as well so it needs drilling and threading before they can fill it with coolant, (double bugger) of course none of these things have been off the bike since it was built in 2001 so I was expecting a few small problems. The bill is standing at £390 at the moment for what should (on a normal bike) be about £150 all in. The guys at the owners club are really good at what they do and I am really glad they have the problem of fixing the faults but not that many years ago I would have done this myself in the garage or on the side of the road in the rain, there comes a time in your life when it's worth getting someone else to do these things. The only thing that really smarts tho is that the bill is likely going to be closer to £500+ before I get it back, I've paid for complete bikes that were road worthy for less than that..! :(

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I would argue the thermostat bolt is their doing, and should be sorted at their cost. The pipe is fair enough I suppose. 

I know it smarts, but you were have had to do all that yourself. it wasn't the mechanics who broke it but the age of the bike etc.

I did my tdm and it was the sme thing. I boke off 3 exhaust studs and had to drill them out, then the coolant pipe stuck in the head and then I lost the timing and it a pain with a 270' crank.

its money vs time as always

Thanks fellas, yes I think your right Cynic the bolt was their fault but truth be told if they hadn't broken it I probably would have when I did it so not really to concerned about paying for it. Your right Drewpy it's about time and I have other things that need doing so not really a problem just felt like having a moan..! Will be nice to get the bike back tho, the garage feels really empty without it sitting there.

• 2 weeks later...

Slice,  we all get to an age when everything was cheaper in the past.  I guess you have just arrived ... lol 

• Like 1

You cheeky bugger ..! Your not wrong tho, I remember when you could buy a bag of chips and two seats in the cinema and get change for a pound..! :rofl:

• Like 1

And I bet that £1 was green and made from paper.... Mind you I am told that fivers were white at one time as well :-)

• Haha 1

I was never old enough to actually use the original White Fiver but remember seeing one, it looked like someone unfolding a bed sheet from their wallet..!

Image result for white fiver note

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 12:27 PM, Cynic said:

Ha, you were 'told'.

Really?

Yeah, seen them on the telly, still *only* in my middle 50's so remember the larger £1 notes and the larger £5, but not the white ones :-) 

I'm the same age as Pounds and pence, February 71 was the change over. So I remember the bigger notes, and the mourning of the pound note, mind it still was actually worth having then. Barely buy a chocolate bar today.

When I was a kid it got you 10 smokes a bus to and from town and still left you a couple of bob.

It's probably a good thing you took to bike to FJOC rather than a main dealer ! Just imagine what the cost would be from one of them !!!.

i called in there to pick up some parts for my FJ a few weeks ago and a guy having his FJR serviced had ridden down there 280 miles from the North East and stayed overnight, and it was still worth it to him to do that rather than go to a local main dealer.

The cost of "professional" servicing these days is ridiculous - that's why I do everything myself now.

Edited by Oldfjman

• 2 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 6:52 PM, Cynic said:

I would argue the thermostat bolt is their doing, and should be sorted at their cost. The pipe is fair enough I suppose. 

Most mechanics (that I know of) have some kind of Ts&Cs that basically mean they're not liable for broken bolts and bits, since so many are often seized, rusted, shagged or buggered... doubly so if the OEM bolts are made of cheese in the first place (Yamaha Cruisers, I'm looking at you), and it's nigh-on essential if the mechanic has anything to do with BMWs on a regular basis!!

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online