Heavy Steering at Low Speed

patspiercing
This post is 2048 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, I have recently brought my wife a 1990 Virago 535. It is fitted with flat handlebars.

She is very happy with the bike but complains that the steering is heavy at low speed. I have ridden the bike and tend to agree with her but my main experience is with sports bikes.

I have checked the tyre pressures and the headstock bearings and all seems to be ok.

Has anybody else noticed this or got any suggestions to eliviate the problem.

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi, I have not got a centre stand fitted on this bike but I have suspended it from the garage roof so as to raise the front wheel. The bars turn easily with no notchyness and all the cable routes are free.

I am wondering whether these bikes are normally heavy steering at low speed due to frame geometry. I am not sure whether the bars are stock or not as I believe Yamaha did make a model of the Virago with flat bars. All of the cables and wiring looms seem to be the right size for the bars.

Have a look at the forks just to make sure they look straight and parallel to each other. At the end of the day, its not going to drop into the corners like a sporty, but if the front end all checks out, then it is what it is, a cruiser, made for going in straight lines

The front tyre is a Michelin 300-19. I have checked the forks and they look straight and parallel with free and easy movement. I suspect that it is what it is but if I can make it a little easier for her it would be good.

I was just wondering if other owners of these bikes had the same experience.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online