dt125lc mk1 fork seals and oil

justin j
This post is 2045 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hello people, hope you can help me on some parts of the project im very slowly being able to do.

this is how to get the top off the top of the forks? no nut to undo? i want to change the oil and seals?

i've tried looking for the exact forks that someone has a video or pics on how to.but cannot find the same.

if anyone can share a link they know about or help me out here. would really appreciate it.

here is pictures off the top part i cannot see how to get out??

also the seal i need to remove. also all the horrid oil that came out..

IMG_3662.JPG

IMG_3663.JPG

IMG_3665.JPG

IMG_3664.JPG

IMG_3666.JPG

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

well i've managed to get the dust seals up, but in picture one the very tops, i don't have a clue what it takes to get into the top to fill the oil, 

or how to remove the fork part to get he oil seals out?  anyone?

ok just in case there is anyone out there that has the time or knowhow . ive got seals and dust seals off, ive cleaned out both bottom tubes of gunk.

i now just do not know how to get the top of the forks out? in picture 2?  

am i in the wrong place to get any answers?

Do you have a manual for the bike, I assume not.

I'm not familiar with it, but can you push the top down a bit to reveal a circlip

As Jimmy said, push down on the inner thingy with the divot in it and hook out the circlip. Use a piece of cloth over the end to stop it firing across the garage floor..!

There is usually a circlip in the bottom section of the fork as well under the dust cap, take the fork clamp off as well it makes it easier to just do one at a time.

Don't forget to put the springs back in the right way as well usually tight at the bottom I think, best bet keep them the same way up when you remove them.

thank you jimmy and slice, iv'e tried pushing down on them, but i will try harder this time as i did not want to break anything as i did not know that is how it is done. thank you.

Justin, this might be of some use to you. NOT the same as yours but all the rest will give you a head's up.

https://youtu.be/vrmYJgcGX30

Hi Justin if you’re having difficulty in taking them apart believe me it’s a lot harder to put them back together. YouTube is your best bet there are plenty of how to clips on fork seal & oil change which will give you a much better picture than anyone here trying to explain 

Aye fukking thanx tommy, I'm doing my best

• Haha 1

Yes I know jimmy, but it's so hard to explain it in text compared to video and I can't understand most of what you say anyway :P you do make a cracking brew though 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Tommy xs said:

Yes I know jimmy, but it's so hard to explain it in text compared to video and I can't understand most of what you say anyway :P you do make a cracking brew though 

"most of what you say"....Thats an improvement. The first time we met I could see from your coupon that you never understood anything I said ?

thank you to everyone, i pushed even harder with success, i do lots of searches before i bother anyone on here. i do try sort things myself.

thank you all, and dont suppose anyone knows the amount of oil in each fork?  after searching i see so so many different answers,

so i got to thinking it is just under 305ml.?  in each fork.. anyone confirm this? or correct amount.

thank you in advance

oh am i missing something, why does no one have a thank you button?? or i just cant see them.

Hey justin, be assured you are not bothering anyone, we all like talking bikes, and if we can help we will....no bother

Ref fork oil, does that mean you got it apart? and you really need to pick up a manual for it

yes jimmy, all sorted just need to make sure i get the right amount of oil in. i now got service manual and convert what i think into ml.

it says us  10.3 us oz now it does not say total or in each fork?   so if i got it right that is just under 305ml...?

It will for each leg

A rule of thumb I use is, with the springs removed, I will top the oil up to 150mm below the top of the forks (well I say 6", but you young guns might not know what that is). That 150mm is for a road bike tho' not sure about trail bikes

ok jimmy i might just go by this book, and see what happens when and if i get finished. thanks. im sure to be back for more answers. might as well keep them all in one thread. again thanks