MT/FZ 09 Chain tension

Alex
This post is 2059 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

• Admin

I adjusted the chain tension on the MT to the specs in the 2017 manual, 5-15mm. It was incredibly tight, I could hear the drive-train whining when I rid the bike, I've slacked it off to 25mm and I still think it needs more play.

I phoned three Yamaha dealers and they recommended between 15-35mm but no one actually knows what the exact tension Yamaha recommend is. The issue for me is that the bike is under warranty and the manual states frame damage may occur if play is over 25mm.

I've just sent a follow up email to Yamaha as they are saying the manual is correct.

Does anyone have a different year MT/FZ which states a different range?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I thought 25mm +/- 10 at the mid point was standard for most anything. Except crossers. 

Did you sit on it to check the tension with it compressed. 

• Admin

I've taken a look on a few of the MT specific sites, seems like this is a well known issue and most people are setting around 30mm play. This seems about right, but there's a big warning sign in the manual about frame damage which has me concerned. 

Still waiting for someone at Yamaha to get back to me, so far they are insisting the manual is right.

I've heard about this too on a couple of bike groups on Facebook. I'd go with convention on it, if no one's had issues from running it that loose?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Admin

@finnerz89 I haven't come across anyone saying they've had problems with the chain being that slack. But also if your chain is that slack and you damage your frame I wouldn't want to own up to it online ;) I've got mine set on the limit to Yamaha's warning, still needs more slack as far as I'm concerned.

@NE0Ha nope haven't seen that, I actually thought for a moment he was being serious with the WD40 :)

• Admin

Still got it set at 25mm, you just reminded me to follow up with Yam as they haven't got back to me since my last email. Will email them now.

• Admin

Well I've just got a reply from the Customer Experience Coordinator at Yamaha:

I’ve checked with one of my colleagues and he has advised the following. 
Have a friend sit on the bike when adjusting.  Adjust chain to you owner’s manual recommendation.

I've sent them a follow up as the manual clearly states that chain slack for the MT09 has to be done with no weight and their slack in the manual is far too tight.

I've asked them what will happen with warranty if the chain being too tight/too slack causing damage.

• Admin

Yamaha are standing by their manual recommendation.

Hi Alex,

I have received the following advice from our motorcycle technical representative.  This information has been supplied to our dealer network and our NSW field service representative has given me the same advice.

We are unable to advise adjustment outside of the information contained within your owner’s manual.

The drive chain slack specification (5-15mm) has been the same since 2014 model MT09. This has not resulted in any damage to the transmission.

If concerned about the tension on the drive chain, you could maintain the upper limit 15mm. Please note the chain in excess of 25mm can cause damage to frame and swingarm.  

Secondly, you can recheck chain slack with the ride on the bike and maintain measurement.

Refer to attached handbook extract.

chain.png

To be fair if the bike is designed to run with a chain that tight why worry. 

If your output bearing or wheelbearings fail early then fair enough. Use the warranty. 

Out of curiosity, how close is the sprocket to the sw arm pivot and the angle of the chain. It may well be there is less slack needed by design. 

• Admin

Yeah I'd normally follow the manufacturer's guidelines, they know best and have spent millions on getting it right. However when you can hear the drive-train whining it doesn't make you feel that they are right on this one.

I know they are different bikes and frames, but when you look at the MT07 and MT10 the MT09 really sticks out.

MT07

Drive chain slack: 51.0–56.0 mm (2.01–2.20 in)

NOTICE: Improper drive chain slack will overload the engine as well as other vital parts of the motorcycle and can lead to chain slippage or breakage. If the drive chain slack is more than 58.0 mm (2.28 in), the chain can damage the frame, swing-arm, and other parts. To prevent this from occurring, keep the drive chain slack within the specified limits,

MT09

Drive chain slack: 5.0–15.0 mm (0.20–0.59 in)

NOTICE: Improper drive chain slack will over-load the engine as well as other vital parts of the motorcycle and can lead to chain slippage or breakage. If the drive chain slack is more than 25.0 mm (0.98 in), the chain can damage the frame, swingarm, and other parts. To prevent this from occurring, keep the drive chain slack within the specified limits.

MT10

Drive chain slack: 20.0–30.0 mm (0.79–1.18 in)

NOTICE: Improper drive chain slack will overload the engine as well as other vital parts of the motorcycle and can lead to chain slip-page or breakage. To prevent this from occurring, keep the drive chain slack within the specified limits.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online