FJ1200 drivetrain notchy when coasting in gear. Calling Tasky/Slice

DutchFJ1200
This post is 2065 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Slice, Tasky,

Since you guys know quite a bit about the FJ1200.

Yesterday I noticed, when throttling back and coasting in any gear (coming to a junction or down hill in traffic) a notchy sensation (or something dragging) coming from the drive train through my legs.

It disappears when I press the clutch. 

I just checked my chain, rear & front sprockets (new a month ago) that that checked out fine. No play or excessive wear, all nuts nice and tight and chain follows nicely over the cogs with the correct tension.  

There are no discernible noises coming from the block, pulls like a train and even yesterday coming back from work cracked well over a ton without breaking into a sweat.

Since there is nothing to see externally could there be something wearing out in the box?  A drive shaft bearing or something?  

Look forward to hear.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Considering the chain hasn't been done long, is the front sprocket tight. Next easiest check as I see it would be wheel bearings in the rear wheel.

Cush rubbers would do that, might need some new ones mate. As Cynic said the easy one is the wheel bearing so do that first, just asking did this only start when you changed the sprockets and chain?  One other thing occurs to me, the final drive bearing out of the gear box might be suspect to, let us know how you get on.

33 minutes ago, slice said:

Cush rubbers would do that, might need some new ones mate. As Cynic said the easy one is the wheel bearing so do that first, just asking did this only start when you changed the sprockets and chain?  One other thing occurs to me, the final drive bearing out of the gear box might be suspect to, let us know how you get on.

Thanks chaps.

I only noticed Friday and bike been good since sprockets & chain.  Only recent major upset back there is change of rear tire fortnight ago.  Tire place did all the work, wheel in & out.

May pull the rear shaft to see if everything is ok and check if chain adjusters are in line.

I guess you may like some feedback after your good advice.

Rear wheel alignment was out, but only by a small margin.

Soooo ..... loosen wheel nut ...... no go !!  The tire place must have done it up with a breaker bar because I was unable to loosen with my short Bahco shifter.

Get 27 socket + breakerbar ....'kinell ..... !!  In my opinion that was way overdone and it would not have surprised me that the whole rear drive train was pinched.

Maybe they went for the next notch or two in the castle nut to put the split pin in, but ffs, back it off a tad instead of trying to grind the thread off the shaft :angry:

I'm a firm believer that tight is tight but with a normal spanner and some elbow grease. The chain adjusters with double nut will keep it in place anyway.

Did my usual lap to work and back this week and all is sweet as.B)

Good weekend chaps!