Does anyone have a Spy 5000m Motorcycle Motorbike Alarm??

marshadee
This post is 2126 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All,

Im new here, so forgive me if this question has been asked before.

I have a Yamaha MT-09 and want an alarm for it. Has anyone used the SPY 5000m? 

Or is there a better alarm people are recommend?

Thanks,

Ryan 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Isnt the Spy range of alarms just a badged chinese generic alarm with some flash looking keyfobs? similar spec'd chinese alarms are available for less than £20. They are useful for alerting you if someone tampers with the bike.

They do work and are an okay deterrent for less savvy thieves. However generally with chinese alarms the 'ecu' is rarely properly ingress protected and the wiring loom isnt the best.

If you do install one, do not install the remote start/immobiliser bypass, not only is the insurance company unlikely payout if your bike gets nicked, but it requires the bikes loom to be hacked and the probability of previously mentioned fragile design lends itself to a FTP.

Also be aware that cheap alarms, diy installed rarely qualify for insurance discounts.

If you must have an alarm [high risk area or other vulnerability] go for a brand/model that will get a real insurance discount and uses the oem alarm loom link. Personally if i had to have one i go for the Yamaha-approved unit and pay the premium to have the franchise dealer fit it or go for a meta and find your local agent. Expect to pay a decent wedge either way.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online