Thinking of changing my user name

jimmy
This post is 2086 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

to Jimmy no bikes!

I have posted my woes regarding amy auld 59 Triumph and how the wiring loom melted....still ongoing. I spent time drawing a new harness (old one had no recognisable Triumph colours and the bike had so many electrical mods that no standard loom would fit) and have just had it quality assured by someone who knows electrics. Good to go says he, so I was in the process of drawing up a list of wires and terminals whilst my modern Triumph allowed me to still enjoy the great spell of weather we have been having up here.

Unfortunately the other morning I left work and travelled about 3 miles when the engine just died on me. The engine would still crank over and plenty of life in the battery, but all sparks had made good their escape. Spent a bit of time going through the basics with no success, so for the 1st time since I was 18 I had to get recovered home.

144.jpg

I have now spent the last few days scouring forums and manuals. The issue for me is my workshop manual does not give a troubleshooting section for the ignition system, rather they suggest replacing each part. Hopefully with help from online forums (forii?) I have narrowed it down to a crank position sensor, which is now on order so here's hoping thats that

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

do they not have one of those diagnostic ports on the electrics?
they also use the tacho to obtain codes for troubleshooting

• Like 1

Fk me,  a modern Triumph , i thought they were the boll?ocks,,,

• Sad 1

Drewps, mine is a carbed model so no real electronics to read

Blackie, it is 11 year old now...but reading the forums this was a common fault........that's if it is the sensor

Here's a poll

Crank sensor   £45

Coil                    £57

Igniter                £280 (although there is a non OEM out there for £180 with good write ups)

Any guess which one it'll end up being

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tommy xs said:

Hey Jimmy no bikes I’ll have you're new helmet  :P

"your"  ??

No worries bud, only thing is you'll need to take the padding out with the size of your head ?

• Like 1

Anyone with their money on the Crank Sensor, Stand Down. New sensor fitted with negative results. I fekking hate this type of testing and elimination

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 5:18 PM, jimmy said:

Drewps, mine is a carbed model so no real electronics to read

Blackie, it is 11 year old now...but reading the forums this was a common fault........that's if it is the sensor

Here's a poll

Crank sensor   £45

Coil                    £57

Igniter                £280 (although there is a non OEM out there for £180 with good write ups)

Any guess which one it'll end up being

My money is on whichever you pick last.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thats a given

If it was me, I'd end up replacing the lot only to find it was none of the above, and eventually be just a loose connection somewhere in the loom ?

Fortunately you don't have my luck, so am sure you'll be sorted soon ?

21 minutes ago, clarke said:

If it was me, I'd end up replacing the lot only to find it was none of the above, and eventually be just a loose connection somewhere in the loom ?

I have already went through the 'non cost' items before I took the plunge

21 minutes ago, clarke said:

Fortunately you don't have my luck, so am sure you'll be sorted soon ?

Well I'm not so sure about that. Having spent a shed load of time and money on my auld Triumph, it decided to melt it's wiring loom, and just as I got my head around building a new loom (bike non standard electrics so had to design the loom), this shit happens to my newer bike...hohum, it could be worse, and I'm learning new skills so there's a bonus 

On 6/9/2018 at 12:31 PM, jimmy said:

Anyone with their money on the Crank Sensor, Stand Down. New sensor fitted with negative results. I fekking hate this type of testing and elimination

Likewise any takers on the Coil

So today I fitted the new coil without success. I then pulled out the manual again and went through all relevant checks on the Ignition, neutral, clutch and side stand switches and all tested as they should have. I then rechecked all plugs and connectors. Again all seems well, so that leaves the Igniter...........and that's where it's going to stay. £180 plus VAT means almost £220 which I am loathe to fork out especially as we will be heading off to Tenerife soon so the wife and kids won't be too happy if I raid their spending money

On a brighter note, all the wiring and terminals arrived to make up my new loom for the auld bike so if I get that sorted the new one can lie and rot

• Haha 1

Well I'm back to Jimmy 1 bike

I bit the bullet and bought a new Igniter (£226) and it was sitting there tonight when I came in from work. I couldn't wait so headed out to the shed and fitted it. The bike lives!!!!!! I should be elated, but atm I just feel relieved.

I 'm thinking of contacting Rex' Speed Shop to see if they could repair that auld yin

Anyway things are looking up as I have started the wiring on my auld bike so hopefully this time next week that will be up and running as well

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Tommy xs said:

Well done Jimmy. My money was on the igniter but only cos it was the most expensive   ?

Tis always the way Tommy.

I'll keep the other two in case they break down.....Thereby ensuring they never will!!

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well back from my holidays and back to work......and back to Jimmy no bikes.

Riding into work on Monday I noticed the steering was very heavy. I had been out on it the night before and all was well. It got worse as the miles went on and eventually at work and I noted the front tyre was low. I borrowed a compressor and pumped it up, only for it to go flat.

I did not want to phone breakdown again, so I arranged for my boy to pick me up that night and the next day I brought in a socket set and a box. Took the front wheel off (with the bike sitting on the box) and took the wheel home.

A new tube fitted yesterday and the wheel back on the bike last night, so tonight I get a ferry to work and will bring the bike back tomorrow so should still be in a position to meet up with Tommy and Drewps either Friday or Saturday

I considered taking a picture of it sitting on the box with no front wheel and make reference to Scouse Tommy being in country, but I work in a high security environment and any cameras produced gets an instant armed cop reaction, so thought better of it......?

• Haha 1

Ha, jm,,  i always carry  i tin of that expanding  shit,,,,,   when is the gang  down your way ,,?  i see its raining over west ,,,

• Like 1

I txt Tommy tonight.  They are in oban today and tomorrow.  I'll speak with him tomorrow and try to get up to oban early doors Saturday to ride down with them