MT09 2015 advice

Alex
This post is 2095 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

• Admin

Hi,

I'm hoping for some advice on the MT09 as I'm thinking about getting one. I swear I read somewhere that the throttle mapping issues were fixed on the 2015 model and that there was a suspension update.  Or do they still need the modified cartridges?

Cheers in advance

• 2 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Admin

Great this gets even harder. Pay a bit more and in 2016 in came with traction control. Pay a bit more again and 2017 completely new model with better suspension, but then you're nearly at the price of a brand new one. Grr...

No one has responded, so I thought I would.

As with all Euro3,4 bikes, the later the version generally the better the fuelling. I rode an early Mt09 and it only surged with very light throttle at steady speed. I didnt find it intrusive.

Whatever you buy, haggle hard as there are lots of used ones for sale. many early ones are running better rear shocks, so maybe worth looking for one with the upgrade but not paying [much] extra.

They are well made.

I"v  ridden   one,, great bikes,,,never noticed  the throttle glitch,,,the seats are a tad hard tho,,  the new models are longer[ swinger]  and 20mm more padded seat,:thumb:

• Admin

Cheers guys, the other option is to get an older one and then upgrade in a year. My issue is I'll end up upgrading everything on the old bike, I just can't help myself ?

That's the problem with buying an older bike Alex, you think "now what do I really need" and the next thing you know your knee deep in making it like the new one. Simple answer really do you like fettling with the bike? then buy the older one if not then buy the new one, at least with the new one you keep your hands clean.! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Admin

Yep wise words. Maintaining the site is bad enough let alone messing with exhausts ?

I still want an old single shock Virago to make a cafe racer from just have never come across one yet out here.

Off to look at a 2017 model on the weekend, fingers crossed. 

Any advice?

My only advice is the one I use myself, go with your gut, if it looks and sounds to good to be true then it is, ALWAYS be prepared to walk away. Good luck Alex I'm sure you'll do fine mate.

• Admin

Can’t be much wrong with a 1yr old bike, well hopefully. 

You'd think so wouldn't you but when I was a much younger young man I went with a mate to buy a "brand new" Honda, the guy said it had only been used for a few months while his car was laid up, the thing was a wreck, bent frame damage to both wheels and the engine had never seen a spanner or cloth. It was 8 months old and only useful for spares. Just saying it's the owner not the bike that counts.

• Admin

True but I hope that’s a rareity, I’ve only seen photos of the bike and considering just paying over the phone for it. Otherwise 400km drive there to look and buy and then same again to pick it up. It’s from a dealer so should have some additional security. 

• Admin

The MT was delivered Friday night, absolutely immaculate condition. Still amazed by the price. Didn’t even get a chance to go for a proper ride on it. And first commute this morning in the rain. 

• Like 2

Glad your pleased with it mate, you know what they say "no photo it didn't happen" :lol:

• Admin

This is outside work, I'll get some nicer ones up one day. Well winter's over and we don't have all this rain. 

Carbon concept front/rear huggers, screen, led indicators, tail tidy but in original location, Akrapovic exhaust, just need black levers and sets now :)

IMG_0731.jpg

• Like 1

Oh that looks good Alex, nice find.  :D

Looks v nice,,,, well ware 

• Admin

Sort of reminds me of a bat bike :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online