Historic M.O.T.

blackhat250
This post is 1479 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Thats the law in now,   historic vehicles [ 40 years old]  dont need an M.O.T,   and are already  Tax free,,,?

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yes it's good news for my Honda (1975)  but the DT is a 1979 model and therefore will have to wait another year!

Having said that, some of you may or may not know, but historic vehicle status is not automatic. You still have to claim 'historic status'. DVLA will quite happily take your road tax from you until you send in your V5C.  I only changed my 400/4 over last year having phoned DVLA to find out the procedure, and I did say to the chap that i thought it was 'automatic' and although  he was very nice and helpful he did say that not everyone might want it!.....................eh?? who on Earth would WANT to pay road tax when you don't have to! but thats what he said.

So if you want to change to historic vehicle you need to take your V5C (Complete section 7 with change of taxation class to 'HISTORIC VEHICLE' ) to the post office along with your tax reminder and they send it all off to DVLA for you and thereafter you don't pay anymore road tax. I understand you still get a tax reminder which you go online and tick a box to continue with your 'free' status. I'll let you know soon how I get on with the MOT status as its 'due' soon.

NB, I've just looked at my V5C and I've owned my 400/4 for over 31 years! .....time certainly does fly!

Edited by NE0
  • Like 1

Oh, thanks for that I thought it just happened. When my CB goes back on the road that will be tax and mot free. Its a 71, a month younger than me!

Should not be surprised, I still had to 'TAX' my old land rover. I just had a tax disc (remember them?) with historic written on it and didn't cost anything. Post office people always seemed really off when you did it though?

I've been waiting for this... Got myself a new toy, I'm only about for 90 days the year so handy to just be able to insure and ride. 

Talking about MOT's. Is it true that if you take your bike in for an MOT up to a month before it expires and passes it carries on from the expiration date. But if it fails the MOT then the MOT certificate expires then?
Mike. 

But if it fails the MOT then the MOT certificate expires then?

Yes, that's correct!  The "failure" over-rides  the rest of the MOT. Regardless of the amount of time remaining.

That's the drawback should it fail. The advantage is of course if it passes, as you explained, it continues for 13 months.

MOT is just a test of roadworthiness at the specific time of testing so if you present a bike with a month left and it fails, it is not roadworthy

Back in the day we did all sorts including changing wheels (with good tyres) and quiet exhausts to get through it, thinking we were good for the year.....oh well, the folly or joys of yoof

• Like 1

Cheers Neo and Jimmy. That's what I expected.
I do agree with Jimmy when he say's so if you present a bike with a month left and it fails, it is not roadworthy
But, It's always been a "thirty day grace" when it fails to get the necessary work done.
As I have said before, they should never have got rid of horses, once they go wrong all they have to do is shoot it and get another one.  (only joking)

You can still ride it to and from a repair centre (which can be your house) but you 'must' go by a direct route. Once repaired, phone the shop and book it in and, again, you're covered

• 2 weeks later...

Well for those that have been following this topic, I've just had to 're-tax' my HONDA 400/4 which was declared an HISTORIC VEHICLE on the V5c the fee being £0.00.

I received the V11 reminder which states the fee of £0 but also states "This vehicle needs an appropriate MOT test certificate" so I went to the GOV.uk website, put in the 16 digit reference number which stated the details of the £0 and then It stated "This vehicle was constructed over 40 years ago and may be exempt from MOT. To which you have a choice of selecting a declaration that the vehicle had not been radically altered from its design and thereby declaring it exempt from MOT, If you select otherwise the  you then have to organise an MOT). i selected the declaration and the next step was saying no fee to pay for next 12 months. it would appear that every year you have to declare its exemption and your no tax, which is not transferrable. You still have the option to declare SORN.

Well there you go, a relatively painless process from someone who's actually done it. ((you can now ignore any other stories you may have heard!!))

Nice one.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

(I know its an old topic but the title still stands.)

UPDATE:

Having recently moved further along the coast I sent in my V5c for change of address for my DT175MX and at the same time, I thought I'd change the taxation class to HISTORIC VEHICLE as she's now over 40 years old.

Both were relatively straight forward, although there was some red tape and hoops to jump through! 

They changed the address first and sent the new V5C back to me along with a V10 form to fill in and send both back. (even though I'd done all this on the 'change my details' of the original.) Seems a bit of waste of postage as all i did was put my name and address on it and the bike details along with change of taxation class!) A week or so later I've been sent another V5C with the new historic taxation class.

No fee to pay it was all done 'free' save for the price of two stamps!

So now both my bikes are 'HISTORIC VEHCILES' and subsequently the MOT is down to my responsibility as above.

FURTHER UPDATE: ....a little more redtape.

When I did my 400/4 in 2018 I completed an online form to declare the bike MOT exempt, however, that was using V11 reminder.

When I did my change of address and change of taxation class for my DT175 (see post above) there is no online declaration!, so I phoned them up.

Guess what? ....I now have to send back my new V5C  along with a V112 form Declaration of Exemption of MOT. ......and another V10 form!! I did point out that I'd already done this! but apparently they come as  a pair!!, you can't send one without the other!

All being well, it will come back in a ? few weeks....

So two  slightly different procedures. The Honda from the V11 and the Yamaha using the V10 plus a V112.

You won't find the process written down on the DVLA website that's for sure!

It always helps when someone's actually done it and is able to share their experience I always say! Hopefully this may be of help to anyone else changing their taxation class to Historic.

Edited by NE0
  • Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online