FJ1200 3CV new chain + sprocket advice

DutchFJ1200
This post is 2155 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Morning gents,

I know nooby question but you never know what the brain-trust here can advise.

Been a while since I changed sprockets & chain and forgot which ones I ordered from Wemoto a few years ago. https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/yamaha/fj_1200_3cv_type/88-90

There are 6 options and price wise not too much in it.  Is the most expensive at £147 simply the best ??

Also I seem to remember reading here that there may be an option to change the sprocket ratio to have less revs at high speed/better fuel consumption. I'm aware you lose a bit of bottom end but that's not too important soo, what's the skinny on this?

I do quite a bit of dual carriage way miles lately commuting and at a ton I'm doing 6/6.5K revs. and you can see the fuel gauge go down. (okay.... I had a play with a Porsche Panamera yesterday and we went considerably faster than that which didn't help the cons. much. :lol:)

Fire away.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

My bikes are not quite in the same league chain wise but for what its worth. I go with the standard did chain. 

All the fancy bullshit comes to nowt in the real world.

Top of the line is 120+ the standard chain 27, ask yourself this (I know you have to have softlinks where I can cheat with splits) will the 120 quid chain last 6 times longer than the standard units. Even their own bull says it outlasts standard chains by 40%. 

Little bit extra lube time and save a chunk of change? At the very most I would only go with the basic O ring. 

• Thanks 1

I've got the X chain via Afam and found it really durable. think i've adjusted it twice in 3k

• Thanks 1

I'd just go for DID X ring, gold if you want a bit more bling.

Sprocket wise 1 tooth bigger on the front should get you what you want.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Hello chaps,

Ordered 1 tooth + up on the front, standard on the rear and the silver/black X-ring. The gold was not in stock.

Put the lot on today, look forward to see what that one tooth + front feels & does.

Hello chaps,
Ordered 1 tooth + up on the front, standard on the rear and the silver/black X-ring. The gold was not in stock.
Put the lot on today, look forward to see what that one tooth + front feels & does.
With your torquey beast you'll probably only notice it at the pumps

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online