New member in Utah from elsewhere

This post is 2160 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey I'm Axel. 

I'm originally from Germany and moved here a few years ago. I'm a hobby mechanic but I am starting college classes for mechanical engineering so hopefully my mechanical skills will improve.

My current choice for tinkering is a 1975 DT175. This was my budget but but it's been a good get around town bike. It has an aftermarket clark tank and the seat is torn up so I decided I'd start changing it to my liking. Other than cosmetic upgrades I am trying to work on the electrical system (6V ro 12v) to allow other aftermarket parts to work with it. Any tips are welcome!!

When it comes to carbureted bikes my greatest weakness is tuning them. Where I live I'm usually between 4k and 6k feet in elevation so the stock netting is a no go and the difference between summer and winter temps is high. I've only been at it for about a year so hopefully I'll catch on. Although as part of the 12v upgrade I plan to cheat and install an AFR gauge and sensor. As I use that to tune I might learn better what the symptoms are because I'll have a visual real time aid. 

Anyway long story short, although I've worked a lot on an 80s fuel injected car I'm a newbie to carbs and bikes.

Ask away with any questions

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Axel, welcome to the forum. Brill intro.

The Workshop section might be of interest to you and if you have any input I'm sure it will be welcomed there.

Again, welcome to the forum.

Mike

:welcome: Axel
can't get beverly hills cop theme out of my head now ?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, drewpy said:

I must be getting old Drewps, can't remember Beverly hills cops but I can remember Beverly hillbillies. "The Clampetts"

• Like 1

Guten abend "      try  dropping the needle 2 clips,[  leaner ]  and screw out the airscrew  a turn,  should run cleaner at altitude .  As for 12 volt [ lighting]    you can rewind the lighting coil  with more turns of wire,   these 6volt  coils put out about 9 volts anyway,  before regulated,

1 minute ago, mike1949 said:

I must be getting old Drewps, can't remember Beverly hills cops but I can remember Beverly hillbillies. "The Clampetts"

Oil that is"    BLACK GOLD"  ?

5 minutes ago, blackhat250 said:

Guten abend "      try  dropping the needle 2 clips,[  leaner ]  and screw out the airscrew  a turn,  should run cleaner at altitude .  As for 12 volt [ lighting]    you can rewind the lighting coil  with more turns of wire,   these 6volt  coils put out about 9 volts anyway,  before regulated,

Correct Blackie, you must be as old as me then.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, mike1949 said:

Correct Blackie, you must be as old as me then.

Texas Tea" ,,     nearly mike,,,,,we didnt own a tele,    mid 1960"s.    saw it on the neighbours,

21 hours ago, blackhat250 said:

Guten Tag

Thanks for the advice. Is there a good resource you know to calculate how many windings I need to get 12 volts and what gauge would be best suited? If I understand it I have to double the amount of windings ro get double the voltage and have to find a gauge that will still fit. 

Thanks!

21 hours ago, drewpy said:

Thanks!

Why do you have the Beverly Hills cop theme song stuck in your head. I must be missing some reference ?

22 hours ago, mike1949 said:

Hi Axel, welcome to the forum. Brill intro.

The Workshop section might be of interest to you and if you have any input I'm sure it will be welcomed there.

Again, welcome to the forum.

Mike

Thanks I'll have to go check that out. If this project works out I'll poster the results and how I got there. 

Edited by akleimer

Search on you Tube,    loads of vids  on 12volt conversions,, 

3 hours ago, akleimer said:

Why do you have the Beverly Hills cop theme song stuck in your head. I must be missing some reference ?

Axel foley, is the beverly hills cop

ace theme tune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4kWpi2HnPU

On 5/13/2018 at 9:59 PM, blackhat250 said:

Texas Tea" ,,     nearly mike,,,,,we didnt own a tele,    mid 1960"s.    saw it on the neighbours,

Same here Blackie. Can't remember when we first got our tele, round about '59, '60, '61 but before we had it the "must see" for us kids was The Lone Ranger on Saturday around tea time so what I did do was knock on my mates door and ask his dad if he could come out and play, he always said no because he's watching the Lone Ranger, "come in and watch it". Bingo, it worked every time.

Mike

Edited by mike1949
  • Haha 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online