My Auld Triumph

jimmy
This post is 2079 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

1 hour ago, Airhead said:

positive earth...yikes!

Haha, like electrons, I don't care which way they're going. With no experience,  +ve and -ve earth just meant a different colour of wire connecting the frame to the battery

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
Haha, like electrons, I don't care which way they're going. With no experience,  +ve and -ve earth just meant a different colour of wire connecting the frame to the battery
It all depends if you're talking electron current or conventional

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, finnerz89 said:

It all depends if you're talking electron current or conventional

Haha (again) I just displayed my ignorance....

I misquoted a comment I picked up somewhere along this road. Delving deeper in my addled mind, it was a flippant comment regarding which colour of wire to use and the comment passed was electrons don't care (about the colour of the insulation)

Haha (again) I just displayed my ignorance....
I misquoted a comment I picked up somewhere along this road. Delving deeper in my addled mind, it was a flippant comment regarding which colour of wire to use and the comment passed was electrons don't care (about the colour of the insulation)
Haha correct. Electrickery goes where it wants!

Personally I use wet string for all my wiring

Following completion of the loom I had my first run out on it. I had travelled about 15 miles when I blew a fuse, fitted a new one, rode off, blew a fuse and so on . After going through a few fuses I eventually worked out that, as I had not bolted the seat on ( I wanted to have quick access in case the reason the wires melted in the first place, happened again) whenever I was sitting on it it was pushing down on the battery which in turn pushed down causing the -ve wire to chaff against the carrier. Once I adjusted this I made it home, crimped on a new terminal and rerouted the wires. I then went out for another 20 miles without mishap....so happy as a happy thing 

Now I can get back to the original shake down and adjust the clutch and find out why the gear lever does not always spring back making it difficult to engage a gear at times, anyway...... 

The RH footpeg was all bent out of shape and was awkward as hell to change gear, yes I did say RH side, so it came off today and up to my mates shop to employ some of my auld metalworking skills from a previous lifetime. After some heating, twisting and bending whilst cooling down in a bath of oil, the peg not me, I have it back in the shape it was intended and back on the bike.

There is a problem with the gear change return which errr, doesn't, so that'll be the reason for the crappy gear changes, now I just need to find out the reason for the dodgy return....maybe leave that to the winter.

Here it is

143.jpg

151.jpg

146.jpg

148.jpg

• Like 1

Ah" simplicity ,  great thing about auld bikes, eh ,?,,,looks good your end jim,,,,,rain over here most days,

• Like 1

5 hours ago, blackhat250 said:

Ah" simplicity ,  great thing about auld bikes, eh ,?,,,looks good your end jim,,,,,rain over here most days,

Unfortunately we have had rain my 4 days off. Back to work this morning so probably dry up...Ho hum it is Scotland after all

• Haha 1

Well the gear changes got worser and worserer so today I pulled the outer gearbox casing to have a look. Just as well I did as it was a mess. The springs were all skewed, one of the plungers was stuck in the down position and one of the spring 'buttons' looked to be missing. Turns out it was inside the spring so obviously the wrong size. Anyway parts book out tonight and get the new bits ordered

163.jpg

164.jpg

165.jpg

167.jpg

oh the joys of old bikes, keeps you on the straight and narrow anyway.

seems like you have a handle on it

• Like 1

Hopefully. Reading the manual and asking online it seems that any one of the faults could cause the gear change issue, so I'm hoping that if I replace all the springs and plungers I should be good to go...

to go straight onto the next issue ??

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online