helmet recomendations...

Cynic
This post is 1907 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey people, just wanted opinions on helmets. My shark is now 5 years old and i can honestly say i absolutely detest the fking thing.

Its heavy, massively noisy and has never really felt truly comfortable. 

So, as a result I'm finally looking for a replacement, couldn't give a f who its made by as that seems irrelevant to what you get, just adds price, comfortable and quiet really, heavy on quiet as i really can't seem to find ear plugs that are comfortable for any distance. At least not for the row this shoei makes.

Nb, i will accept part of the noise issue is due to the shape of the TDR with the wind hitting high on your chest/chin from the screen.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hmm, there is noisy and there is flip noisy. 

This is what is tempting me at the moment but have to try a few on first...

https://www.motocentral.co.uk/agv-k3-guy-martin-yellow.html

Bit of a GM fan I'm afraid, colours work with the TDR too.

I had an old Bell once and was really quiet.

prob not to todays euro 4 standards now

I have an AGV flip so is a bit noisy but the main problem with all the AGV helmets I've tried since buying this one is the visor, on cold or damp days when it starts misting up the first click position up is way more than you want, so if in town and stopping & starting I find I'm messing with the visor to much. Just something to bare in mind when trying it on.

That is a really nice helmet for the price though

• Like 1

Value for money wise HJC are good,  they also score well on the Sharp tests.  I think mine is the IS17. Only 30 odd quid for replacement visors too,  half the price of AGV ones last I checked. 

• Like 1

I have the     HJC   IS18    COMFY,,,  and you get visors [ korea]  £20  free post,    ?  

shoei bell agv and suomy do some comfortable quiet helmets try a few on see how it goes I think maybe the suomy would be quieter than a shark arai are to noisey but lite

Both me and the wife have the HJC IS Max flip front, and I find it quieter than my old Shark non flip.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

At 5 years old its fkt anyway. Gone for an agv kv3 in the end, very comfy. First proper trip this weekend.

Many years ago I went over the bars on the bike and effectively landed on my head, I was fine pretty much, bike not so much. I know it shouldn't matter but the really low cost lids I just don't feel comfortable with. Esp as my mate broke one with his bare hands a few years back, (the shell split at the chinpiece).

How was it Jason .  If you noticed I had the same helmet on with a different design, I think it's shit. I much prefer my shark rsr2 to be honest .

• Father's day is coming, my kids have both chipped in and ordered me the exact same helmet that I decked at the weekend,  apparently they were struggling for ideas, what a good Dad I am helping them out. 
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/1/2018 at 6:19 PM, Cynic said:

i can honestly say i absolutely detest the fking thing.

Its heavy, massively noisy and has never really felt truly comfortable.  

and yet, you kept it for five years ?

You could try Nolan? Mine's quiet, comfortable, fairly light and sub-mortgage cost

• Haha 1

• Admin

I'm a bit late now, but I'm pretty sure Schuberth make the quietest helmets. https://www.schuberth.com/en/products/motorbikes/helmets/

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 2:50 PM, up.yours said:

How was it Jason .  If you noticed I had the same helmet on with a different design, I think it's shit. I much prefer my shark rsr2 to be honest .

Actually I thought it was pretty good. The first helmet I have used on the TDR I can ride without earplugs, I had an aria in the past and that was too noisy as well. Think its something to do with the screen/riding position on the TDR. Its also the most comfortable lid I have had with my glasses too. The ventilation is really effective as well, very positive cooling with the vents open, to the point of being uncomfortably cold at times.

I may just have hit on the perfect size for me I suppose but by the time I got home after putting 300 miles on the lid I could have happily done 300 more, my arse may disagree. My only negative would be that it seems to mist up VERY quickly but as a chronic asthmatic I breathe heavy which wont help.

I am genuinely very happy with it.

Actually I thought it was pretty good. The first helmet I have used on the TDR I can ride without earplugs, I had an aria in the past and that was too noisy as well. Think its something to do with the screen/riding position on the TDR. Its also the most comfortable lid I have had with my glasses too. The ventilation is really effective as well, very positive cooling with the vents open, to the point of being uncomfortably cold at times.
I may just have hit on the perfect size for me I suppose but by the time I got home after putting 300 miles on the lid I could have happily done 300 more, my arse may disagree. My only negative would be that it seems to mist up VERY quickly but as a chronic asthmatic I breathe heavy which wont help.
I am genuinely very happy with it.
Pinlock insert will help with the misting

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online