Speedometer went off after jumping thermostat radiator.

jonasmx
This post is 2179 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, im new here. I have a question, I recently got a yamaha fz1 2005. I jumped the thermostat radiator cables in order to have the fan always on, I did the same on a sv650 2000, but this time did not get the expected result, after that, no more rpm reading, the needle was dead. I after discovered that the problem was the water pump, so maybe the thermostat was ok. I did not get the fan on, why? I removed the jump and ended wiring the fan just directly to the battery, using a switch, after that the electrics seems ok, just the speedometer that won't turn on. Does anybody know what exactly happened? I checked the fuses and seemed ok. thanks.

Edited by jonasmx

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
5 hours ago, neversaydie said:

Have you tried putting it back to how it should be wired? Some motors arent designed to run always on

Here the problem now is the speedometer, why it did stop working? who knows and maybe it was a coincidence non related with what I did. Right now my bike is on the shop getting some adjustments, fixing the water pump problem and two more things, once I got the water pump fixed then I will wire the fan to the thermostat and see if it is eventually activated by thermostat. I am not expert but I don't think I shorted circuit the wrong cables, they were coming off from the radiator part, just like my old SV650, but who knows I am still confused about this. Please note that the FAN is perfect condition, it runs good once directly powered from the 12v source.

Edited by jonasmx

I may be over complicating the matter, but think of it like this. The ECU or whsatever it is that controls the electronic functions of the bike, knows that the fan should not be on until the water reaches a certain temperature. By jumping the fan so that its on, the controller may think that there is a fault with the system

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online