1992 535 no spark at plugs

alan riddell
This post is 2162 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi folks

having problems navigating site .Hope I'm on the right track now. Wonder if any of you folks can help with no spark. Ignition coils ok pickup coil ok.Power going into igniter unit but not coming out .friend of mine put signal to the out side of igniter and we got spark.not sure what that means.any help would be appreciated

thanks alan  

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Welcome to the nuthouse mate. If you say your coils are fine, then a few more checks. 

Can the HT lead be removed from the coil, if so unplug it and hold it about 6mm (or closer) from the coil plug socket and turn the engine over....is there a spark jumping from the coil, if no, then you need to check the coils again

If yes, then refit the HT cable and remove the spark plug cap from the other end, ensure a little wire is bared and hold it close to the spark plug and crank the engine. Does it spark, if no then replace the leads

If yes, then refit the spark plug cap, fit a spare plug into the cap and hold it against the head, crank the engine. Does it spark, if no then replace the plug cap, if yes the consider changing the plugs. Remember just because it is new plugs does not mean they are good

After a few cranks remove the plugs, are they wet?

My boy had an issue with his 535 a few years ago. Sometimes it would fire up sometimes not. After a lot of searching I traced it to a broken black (earth) wire in the harness. This wire was coming from the starter switch.  I was lucky in that it was just where the harness comes through at the steering head. 

This wire was getting stretched each time the bars were moved and eventually it split. So if he tried to start the bike with the bars tuned to the left, no spark. If facing forwards or to the right it would fire up. Once found I added a new length of wire and he has had no issues since

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online