What’s comfier than a BMW R1200ST?

Malky
This post is 2149 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys, my wife and I are both 5’9” tall in our 50s and fed up with only being able to ride for about 1 1/2 hours before being in discomfort.

Wanting a tourer (just back into bikes after 30 years) rather than use my Thunderace I bought the beemer for 2 up riding.

It’s ok for short trips up to an hour and a half but a 2 hour trip at the weekend was no fun..... and it was a nice sunny day!

With a budget of around £5,000 any ideas? I’ve no objection to any make or age - we just want to lose the discomfort.

I’d thought of a Goldwing / F6C but don’t want to lose the essence of using the bike and getting wedged in traffic.

Thanks in advance,
Malcolm

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'd suggest any of the usual adventure style bikes. Tiger 800, GS1200, Africa Twin etc. They tend to have more leg room for the pillion. 

But then again, I never ride for much longer than that when 2 up with my Mrs so I don't think it would bother me too much

Thanks for your suggestions - I think I'll see if I can have a shot on the Tiger & Africa Twin.....I'm a little reluctant to go the Beemer route again.  On another note - how's the Street Triple...?  I tried a V4 Tuono and that was bonkers and would have seen me pushing up daisies in short order.  The Street Triple I'm guessing is a competitor for the Tuono - is it less bonkers?

The streets only a 675/765 so no contest mate. I guess the speed triple would be closer but the tuono is another step above that. You're into mt10 or superduke r territory

FJR1300,, deffo comfy,,,   great long distance,,,  the Speed & street    will be no use for pillion ,  they"l be perched up high,  ?

Being a bit dim here maybe but?

The chunder ace has got to be up there as a sports tourer these days. Anything sporty come modern will be harder and less supple than the ace.

I think your looking for what you have, unless you feel like going chrome, the BEST distance riding i did round Derbyshire a few years back was on my dads Suzuki intruder. 

Miles and miles, straight back, comfy seat it just eat the miles. I wasn't breaking into hairpins but i could have rode from dawn till dusk without trouble. No silly crap on it like noisy exhausts etc, just a stock 750 V twin. Shocking front brake and shite in corners but it was comfy.

Or go old, FJ will take some beating as a mile eater, or one of the old gs shafties. 5k gives you a lot of choice, i would ignore the newer stuff.

But hey, i have been known to do over 700 miles in a weekend on my TDR 250, probably THE most non distance bike in creation. Yes i was hurting afterwards.

My experience of the FJ is not great for pillion. My Mrs is 5'8 and felt really cramped on mine.

I'd say you need something with a flattish seat so your pillion isn't sticking up high in the wind (as blackie said)

I was in a similar position when I changed from the XVS650, I tried a lot of different touring bikes, BMW & Triumph just didn't feel right, It came down to either the Yamaha FJR1300 or the Honda ST1300, I ended up with the Honda as my budget wouldn't run to the newer FJR which I preferred to the older one.

At some point I may swap the Honda for the newer FJR once the prices come down, but at this point the Honda does everything I need it to and a 2 hour non stop trip to the coast is not a problem for me or the wife.

Brilliant, thanks for all your help.  I always lusted after the 'new' FJ1100 in the 80s so I'll have a shot on one of those even newer more fangled FJ1300 too if I can.

Edited by Malky

Malky don't buy the auto adjusted rear suspension version of the FJR if it goes wrong the bill starts at £5 grand.

• Sad 1

Hi Malky, maybe I'm wrong and mis-reading your original post. Is your discomfort a "numb bum"?
If it is, that's quite normal. When in a car you can move about and make yourself more comfortable but on a bike you just have to sit on the seat in the same position for the duration. Quite often I travel on the motorway (M4) for about an hour and a half and by the time I get there, boy, am I glad to get off the motorway, sometimes I get off before I should.

• 2 weeks later...

Or go for the most comfortable bike in the world (including for pillions), an Aprilia Futura ?

Interesting you recommend that as it was designed to be in direct competition to the Honda VFR800 :-)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online