Advice on paying VAT on imported bike frame

Parker13
This post is 2159 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, I’ve just purchased a 1987 Yamaha Banshee frame which should be here in the next couple weeks as my current frame is bent so it’s just going to be a matter of swapping the parts off my banshee onto the shipped frame. 

I will be wanting to register the bike for the road so the main question is, when the frame arrives do I to notify HMRC to pay the vat due straight away or do I wait till the frames built then notify them? Do they charge me vat on just the frame ive bought or the market value of the bike when it’s built? 

The plan hopefully would be to get the vat payed to HMRC as soon as I receive the frame, that way once I’ve built it up it’s just a matter of getting in touch with DVLA and sorting things out there end. Thanks for your time any advise would be greatly appreciated 

Edited by Parker13
I wasn’t very clear on original post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Intro, intro, intro.

Post up a little intro in the new members area, even more so with something like this. What are you going to do with it for starters. Will be lots of interest and help for something like this but you need to get the intro in.

No entry restrictions on here but generally you get what you give, so if your after hard won experience from people for nowt, you need to put a bit in the pot first, ?.

Ignoring that generally gets you stonewalled by the community.

Who are you using for the shipping, VAT is payable at entry so if its coming on a reputable carrier you wont get it delivered until you pay the VAT and Duty if there is any.

2 hours ago, Campaman said:

Who are you using for the shipping, VAT is payable at entry so if its coming on a reputable carrier you wont get it delivered until you pay the VAT and Duty if there is any.

Thanks for your reply. I’ve bought it off a motorbike shop from the states, I believe they’re using USPS for shipping, So say I have to pay VAT and duty before the send it out to me (I’m guessing Uk side?) I won’t have to deal with hmrc ? Thanks bud 

1 hour ago, Parker13 said:

Thanks for your reply. I’ve bought it off a motorbike shop from the states, I believe they’re using USPS for shipping, So say I have to pay VAT and duty before the send it out to me (I’m guessing Uk side?) I won’t have to deal with hmrc ? Thanks bud 

Whenever I've paid import duty on stuff from 'merica I've always paid it to the courier, no one else.

1 hour ago, finnerz89 said:

Whenever I've paid import duty on stuff from 'merica I've always paid it to the courier, no one else.

Spot on the tracking says it’s just arrived here in Uk so I’ll probably get a letter soon with the amount of duty I owe before they send it to me, then once I complete the build would it just be a matter of going to the DVLA to apply to register it for road use?

You will have to get a MOT first before you can register it with DVLA

4 hours ago, Campaman said:

You will have to get a MOT first before you can register it with DVLA

Getting an MOT is no problem I’ve just heard from HMRC telling me I need to do a C&E 109 form before I do anything and now my heads fell off ? I’ve just had a quick look at one and it looks quite confusing, have you ever had any experience with one of those forms? 

I do not have any experience of this form, just had a quick look and you only have to fill in pages 1 & 2 which seems simple enough.

Your query with HMRC though is the fact that you are not importing a complete vehicle just the frame, I would give them a call and speak to them about it.

Yeah the C&E form doesn’t look bad to fill out but there’s also a single administrative document part 6 C88(6) form that goes with it,  that’s exactly my point, what I’m going to do is wait for the frame to arrive and like you say give them a ring so I can explain properly what’s going on

The C88 is the actual import entry form, usually the shipping agent/courier would fill that in for you and present it to HMRC for customs clearance.

I used to work in shipping (Ferrymasters, TNT, Cavewood), the forms are easy enough if you take one box at a time using the guidance notes.

This post from another forum may help. It is a few years old so some of it may be out of date

http://www.triumphrat.net/vintage-technical-tips-and-tricks/338745-how-to-register-imported-bike-built-from-parts-but-with-no-paperwork-uk.html

On 4/27/2018 at 9:26 AM, Campaman said:

The C88 is the actual import entry form, usually the shipping agent/courier would fill that in for you and present it to HMRC for customs clearance.

I used to work in shipping (Ferrymasters, TNT, Cavewood), the forms are easy enough if you take one box at a time using the guidance notes.

Ah maybe I’ll get that once it gets delivered. I’m just waiting for the letter that says how much I owe customs, it should be her by the end of the week ? ! When it does I’ll get a few things sorted and let you know how it goes! 

On 4/27/2018 at 9:34 AM, jimmy said:

This post from another forum may help. It is a few years old so some of it may be out of date

http://www.triumphrat.net/vintage-technical-tips-and-tricks/338745-how-to-register-imported-bike-built-from-parts-but-with-no-paperwork-uk.html

Good find! That helped clear up a few things I wasn’t sure on, I’m getting sent in the right direction now I feel like I’m finally getting somewhere ? Thanks!  

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online