2008 MT03 blurred vision vibration issues

BikerchickMT03
This post is 1942 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi

Maybe a bit of a shot in the dark but,

Having followed this post, I wonder if vibrations could be from having poorly balanced wheels or tyres not seated, I have a lot slower bike, but it does vibrate and only becomes noticeable at higher speeds and it is primarily down to the front tyre not being balanced, I rarely run this  bike over 40 so it never bothers me,

Just a thought,

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The ratbike boys are saying more of less the same. http://ratbikezone.forumotion.com/t167-round-three-ding-ding-beware-long-post

Plan of action:

Raise rubber mounted bars (already have massive bar end weights on them), grip puppies, seat gel, re-gear with a 16 sprocket, and weighting experimentation (some sandbags should do it). 

If that doesn't work, I'll lead shot the bars and/or use barsnake, check the balance shaft, and get a new set of tyres

If THAT doesn't work, we'll I'm going to buy bulk ibeuprofin and get on with it :)

• Haha 1

Have you got a screen?

I had very bad vibration - caused by my helmet (careful :eusa_naughty:), when I first got my bike.  It was the wind coming over the top of the screen and affecting the aerodynamics round my Shoei 1000 lid and that shaking blurred my vision, and gave me neck ache as well as a headache.  I found I could reduce it by lowering my body and head.

So I raised  the screen a couple of inches, and all has been fine ever since.

Not saying this is your issue but might be a contributing factor?

• 5 months later...

Hi, it may be a bit late in the day but I have a 2007  MT03 with 17000 miles on the clock and I can say that the vibration your experiencing is not normal. Yes it is a big single so you do feel the engine working but getting blurred vision at 5000 rpm is a concern.

Does this happen on all road surfaces as I had a similar problem with my Guzzi which turned out to do with the front suspension not set up correctly.

One thing to check is if you wind up the engine to 5000 rpm in neutral do you get the vibration. If not then the issue is more than likely to do with a worn chain and sprockets and or cush drive - big singles wear them out far quicker than multi cylinder engines. 

If though you still  get the vibration  I'd get the bike checked over before spending out on handlebar weights or gel seats as the cause is more likely to do with the oily bits such as worn crankshaft bearings.

Hopefully its a knackered chain and worn sprocket and something fairly simple to fix.

It's  been a while since Bikerchick posted on here - does anyone know if she ever got the issue resolved?

i had similar problems years ago with my CB 650 Honda (an in-line 4 cylinder bike for those too young to remember) with regard to blurred vision and headaches caused by vibration - the problem disappeared when I put a handlebar fairing on the bike. I didn't put it on to solve the problem, but after fitting it, the problem disappeared. When I took the fairing off before I sold the bike and rode it for a while, the problem immediately came back - then it disappeared again when I swapped by old AGV helmet for a new Arai.

i think the vibes and headaches were caused more by the specific combination of my height, helmet and airflow, than by vibes from the engine. Change any of the factors, the riders height, helmet shape, or airflow profile and the condition disappeared.

Edited by Oldfjman

• 1 month later...
  • Admin

Have you had a look at anti-vibration inserts? Such as these, much better than just heavier bar ends https://fasstcoaustralia.com.au/products/anti-vibration-inserts

Also could try using anti vibration bars which MX riders use, check Protaper have heard a lot of good reviews about their bars.https://www.protaper.com/product/32/contour-handlebars/black

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online